Quadriceps fatigue | Uphill Athlete

Quadriceps fatigue

• Creator
    Topic
    ste
    Participant

Hi,
    I’m training to improve my aerobic capacity.
    On some non-training outings, when I speed up (without caring about HR), I can clearly feel a limitation coming from quadriceps fatigue. Sometimes this fatigue became my speed limitation, instead of aerobic/anaerobic capacity. On two separate occasions, when keeping the same pace of other very well trained buddies, fatigue became cramps.

Any advice? Should I do some strength training? Box steps?

• Participant
    Rachel on #53363

What sport are we talking about? Running, hiking steep terrain? It sounds like a muscular endurance workout the way you describe it.

Participant
    ste on #53364

Hiking and some running on steep terrain.

Participant
    LindsayTroy on #53411

Ste-

It sounds like while your HR is in Z1/2 your legs are in Z3. I think they call this “local Z3” and generally it comes in during muscular endurance work like Rachel stated. I think the treatment (so to speak) for it is to do some max strength to build up those muscles then do a muscular endurance block to turn those strength gains into speed/power gains.

If you’re not training for anything in particular right now, I might try an 8-12 week max strength block followed by a similar muscular endurance block. Strength: https://uphillathlete.com/general-strength-routine/

Muscular endurance: https://uphillathlete.com/at-home-muscular-endurance-workout-with-progression/ or https://uphillathlete.com/muscular-endurance-me-workout-water-carries/ or hill sprints

Inactive
    Anonymous on #55258

In addition to what Rachel and Lindsay said,

Sometimes this fatigue became my speed limitation, instead of aerobic/anaerobic capacity.

These are not separate. It sound like you’re well above your AnT, so the clock is always ticking in that context.

On two separate occasions, when keeping the same pace of other very well trained buddies, fatigue became cramps.

“Other well-trained buddies” almost always means “people that go too fast relative to their aerobic abilities.” I wouldn’t worry about it.

Instead, find out where your own fitness is at, and train accordingly.

Participant
    ste on #55265

Thank you for your reply Scott.
    What I can’t really understand is why sometimes I’m limited by muscles instead of being limited by breath earlier.

Inactive
    Anonymous on #55272

They are connected systems, but with relative strengths. If the CV system is stronger, then the legs will tire sooner and have a harder time demanding high heart and ventilation rates from the heart and lungs. If the legs are stronger, then HR will be high and breathing will be the limit. The relative strength also depends on the context.

A given training method doesn’t train all systems at once to the same degree. We’re limited by the most scarce resource.

It’s very much Liebig’s Law in action.

Liebig's Barrel

Participant
    ste on #55284

So, if I understand correctly, I should also train some leg strength.

Inactive
    Anonymous on #55296

Use the search field on the home page to search for strength training and you’ll find plenty of resources that explain the what and how.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘General Training Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.