Updated AeT test

• Creator
    Topic
    AshRick
    Participant

Did this back in December. Held 146 avg HR. Avg pace was 10:28. Slight positive Pa:Hr at that time, and the run felt super easy.

Today, same avg HR. Avg pace was 9:19. Negative Pa:Hr. The run felt harder, probably because it was faster and I’m carrying a bit of fatigue in my legs. It’s surprising how such a tiny amount of grade can make a material difference in pace. Slight uphill going out; downhill coming back.

Test is mile 1.50 to 7.50.

http://tpks.ws/DRFL2ASFHRQPFTI4FEYTRMETSU

I think this is progress!

• Participant
    russes011 on #51962

That’s actually an amazing result for 3 months of work. Congrats!

Just curious: what’s your MAF HR?

Participant
    AshRick on #51967

MAF is 180 minus age, plus adjust up for a couple years of training with no injury/illness…?

I’m 61 this year, so 125 or so? I can kinda run at that HR, but it’s truly shuffling.

My HR at the low end of the effort level (Z1) is about 135; I’ve done some 3.5 – 4 hour days in that range.

Key development — when I did the first AeT test and realized that my Z1 should be that low, I couldn’t hardly believe it and could barely run that slow. I was skeptical that I could ever have a running HR that low.

Now 135 HR is a good steady pace, and picking up to 145 is “working.” Still aerobic, but definitely working. Could not do an ultra that hard.

So, by slowing down and doing the miles, I got faster at all HR levels.

I mostly run flats now around 135. Go on long uphills at 145 or so (hiking or running).

15 years ago I did entire Ironman bike and run at 145-148 (10+ hours). That would kill me now!

Participant
    AshRick on #52039

Steve’s question about MAF got me thinking. Yesterday I had a 2-hour Z1 run scheduled. Moderate terrain — about 900ft of vert. I decided to see how low I could keep HR while still running, not shuffling.

Turns out … I do have a 125HR pace. I just needed to start slow. HR lifted to 133-34 on the small hills. Avg HR for the full two-hour run: 126.

I wouldn’t have thought that possible, but there it is. It’s really good to know I have that gear. Will come in handy at Leadville.

Oh, BTW…I got into Leadville!

Participant
    Shashi on #52056

AshRick – kudos to you for the improvement in pace and AeT. Looks like a good AeT test outdoors. For the next AeT test, you can target a higher HR of 150 and see how it impacts Pa:Hr.

I got into Leadville!

That’s amazing! Wish you the best with your training!

Participant
    russes011 on #52057

Yes congrats on Leadville!

Yeah, HR is interesting. I feel like there is a psychological component to keeping one’s HR low while running at low intensities. Relaxation (mind and body) and breath control probably helps lower the heart rate and keep it low. Not sure about all this but I do know that just thinking about exercise, even before your first step, causes adrenaline to increase, which primes you for action by increasing your heart rate. Also I bet just seeing a hill in the distance may give you a shot of adrenaline even before you get there.

Inactive
    Anonymous on #53516

I do know that just thinking about exercise, even before your first step, causes adrenaline to increase, which primes you for action by increasing your heart rate. Also I bet just seeing a hill in the distance may give you a shot of adrenaline even before you get there.

This is not universal, so I would hesitate to generalize or assume it’s a permanent response.

WRT MAF HR, once you’ve properly tested your AeT, you can ignore MAF.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.