The impossible HR zone

• Creator
    Topic
    Laurent Gosselin
    Participant

Hi all!

Odd question here :
    I figured my Z2 is around 135-150 but I can’t get my HR to stay there!
    An active walk gets me to 120-130 and the slowest jogging possible gets me to 150-160.

Any idea on what to do ?

Background : 30 yold, long time hiker, no running history, I strongly suspect that I have ADS.

Thanks!
    Laurent

• Participant
    Rachel on #41090

I hike uphill mostly, and it’s pretty easy to stay in the zone with the right grade. You may have to experiment to find the sweet spot. Like yesterday I hiked up a ski slope, and it can get kind of steep so I had to either slow down on occasion or zig zag to keep my HR down. But a slightly less steep grade and it’s pretty easy for me to keep my HR in the right zone.

On flats I alternate walking and running. Also last year I spent a lot of time learning to jog at a lower heart rate. At first I could only do that going downhill but eventually I could jog back and stay in my zone (this was on a gentle grade, like 4%).

Participant
    Laurent Gosselin on #41106

Thanks for your input rachelp!

Great idea, I will give a try to downhill jogging!
    On flats, when alternating walking and running, were you doing 30/30s (or other?) so the average rate was in the right zone?

Hiking would indeed be my best option. Unfortunately I do not have the chance to live in mountain country (Eastern Canada). The closest mountain in my area is a 2h30 drive which makes it difficult to use for daily work outs. The best hill I have nearby is a 200 ft elevation gain over a 2000 ft distance.

Thanks 🙂 !

Participant
    Rachel on #41116

sounds pretty flat! Around here it’s hard to find anywhere flat to train! (northern NM).

For the run/walk, I’ve experimented with a few different methods. I think my favorite is to set a very narrow HR zone on my watch, and when it buzzes because my HR is too low, I start jogging. When it buzzes again because my HR is too high, I walk. To do this technique you need to set the upper bound to be at least a few beats lower (because your HR will usually go up a little after you stop running). So if my AeT is 136, then I might set my watch to have a zone of 130-134, and run when it gets below 130, and walk when it hits 134.

Sometimes that is too much work and I just jog for 20 seconds or so then walk. I find 10-20 seconds is often enough to get my HR up a bit. And I don’t aim for an average, I always aim to keep it below my threshold.

Participant
    Yury on #41233

An active walk gets me to 120-130 and the slowest jogging possible gets me to 150-160.
    That’s strange.
    Have you tried walking faster than your “active walk”?
    Have you tried “running” slower thank your “slowest jogging possible”?

I figured my Z2 is around 135-150 but I can’t get my HR to stay there!
    How have you determined this?
    Was it just based on “220 – your age” formula or determined through some trial walks/runs?
    I have a perception that for some people (e.g. for me) an error can be up to 20 bpm when using this formula.
    For example, for how many hours:minutes can you run with your “slowest jogging possible” speed?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.