Starting the book..transition phase.

• Creator
    Topic
    redsoxchamps2007
    Participant

Hello,
    If i’m reading correctly I should start transition at 50% my current volume and 25% of that zone 1.For the last8 months I’ve been ranging 6-8+ hrs a week including 3-5000 ft ascent on very steep (800 ft less then a mile) rocky trails..the AT in central Pennsylvania.
    So my program would be 4 to 4.5 hrs with an hour of hiking which could be 1000 ft ascent.I know this is a common fear but I feel my fitness will take a hit.
    Reading the beginning of your book I literally am the poster boy for “Death by Threshold” and intensity in place of volume.Due th arthritic knees from 20 years of ultra running and 2 surgeries in the last 2 years road running is a no go.And I figure 50-100 mile weeks are too.FortunatelyI can move on mountainous technical terrain with lots of elevation change pretty well.So my philosophy was train high intensity on climbs zone 3-4 that way I don’t need the volume.
    Lately I’ve hit a wall.I’m at the same place I was 4-5 months ago and many days as I climb there is literally nothing in the legs.Overtrained…very much so.I took the last 10 days off and am starting from scratch with your program.
    Reading my history should I start at that low volume or would 60% with a 2 hr hike possibly start the fatigue process again.
    Appreciate your thoughts/btw I had high expectations for the book and its exceeded them.BTW the book has also planted the seed of booking a winter mountaineering coarse next year in the White Mountains,NH.I’ve always wanted to do that.
    Scott

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #6712

Scott:

Thanks for buying our book and congratulations on diving right into a plan for yourself.
    You’re right that you do sound like a text book case of Death by Threshold. Before you begin a new training cycle it is going to be really important to be fully recovered both mentally and physically. Depending on how trashed your legs have been and for how long, you may need more time. You need to feel like your legs are light and bouncy when you bound up the stairs. If there is any residual fatigue then more rest is needed. Overtraining is an insidious condition that can be very hard to shake if you truly were afflicted with it. I’m advising a college ski coach right now who’s top skier got overtrained in late August and has still not been able to come back to training.

Make sure you are out of the black hole of fatigue before you launch back into training!

With your training history and propensity for overdoing it, I’d recommend starting your weekly volume at 50% of your average weekly volume for the past macro cycle of training. It may feel punitively light but it is always easy to increase the training load gradually after a few weeks are under your belt than it is to suddenly find the wheels coming off again 3 weeks into the plan. When that happens that residual/accumulated overload will have crept up without you recognizing it for it is until its too late. The all you can do is stop training and rest. This can create a start/stop/start effect which ain’t a good thing.

So start conservatively, build gradually and pay attention to your body. Then the next training cycle you’ll be a much wiser athlete than the one who just bludgeons himself in every workout.

Scott

Participant
    redsoxchamps2007 on #6714

Thanks for the input.In fact I since writing this and before reading your response I decided to follow it as prescribed due to my habit.Lesson learned.Thanks.

Scott

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.