Solid/ Real Food during 50k

• Creator
    Topic
    Brandon Phillips
    Participant

Hey everyone, I’m wondering about foods that people are eating during long runs? This is my first venture into ultrarunning- I’m doing Luke’s 50k plan for a R2R Grand Canyon run this fall. However, I come from a long background of 15+ years climbing, biking, backpacking. I feel pretty good about my nutrition strategies for something like a 20 pitch alpine climb, but have never done a long run before. I am also very well versed in bars, gels, and drink mixes.

So, What solid foods have worked for ya’ll during longer running events/ unsupported races?

Posted In: Nutrition

• Participant
    Shashi on #53206

Others will probably chime in with their experience. You might find this discussion helpful –

MUT Nutrition

Participant
    Rachel on #53209

Lemonade at phantom ranch, salted baby potatoes, applesauce pouches, peanut butter on rice cakes, nuts, cheese.

Participant
    rita on #53213

Potato hashbrown, waffles/pancakes, avocado sushi, pb&j on toast, baby food fruit purees, fresh fruit (pineapple, watermelon, berries)

Participant
    TerryLui on #53536

I am by no means an ultra runner but I distinctly recall watching Gary Robbins in the Barkley Marathons eating a full on burger (ketchup & mustard?? forget…)

I thought it was hilarious, here’s the video, entertaining throughout (IMO)

Participant
    Brandon Phillips on #53817

Thanks for the suggestions- this is the kind of thing I was looking for.

I have never actually watched that Gary Robbins video, even though it’s on the front page every time I get on Youtube.

Participant
    TerryLui on #53933

Burger action @ 49:45

I have never actually watched that Gary Robbins video, even though it’s on the front page every time I get on Youtube.

Participant
    blueSkye on #54464

Gary Robbins video has helped a lot in my journey.

Participant
    LindsayTroy on #54534

Scott Jureck’s book, Eat and Run has some interesting suggestions, my favorite being Onigiri which is basically rice wrapped around something else. I really like rice wrapped around red bean paste or just plain rice with miso.

Participant
    brianbauer on #60531

if I am racing less than 6-7 hours, I only take in drink mix and gels. if racing longer than that, I will eat some real food( and starting before the 6hr mark). so think about time duration not distance.

Participant
    Edgar Carby on #60538

There is a cookbook called the Feedzone by Allen Lim that is fantastic, but he has recipes for handhelds that really fit the bill here. Mostly rice based, either sweet or salty or both.

I’ve done lots of century bike rides where I’ve used the Feedzone handhelds with great results. Obviously much easier to eat on the bike than on the hoof.

I’ve only down a few ultras (all under 6-hour efforts), and I only did gels and drink mix (with/without with calories).

I love the Science in Sport gels and can easily get down two-three an hour. They are about 80 cals per packet. They are much less viscous than Clif, GU or Honey Stinger and you don’t need water (or much anyway).

Participant
    brianbauer on #60578

the consistency of GU gels makes me want to puke even when I am not racing. I also don’t like flavors. my gel choice is Maurten. less viscous, tastes like nothing, you don’t need to take with water. I will say that the Maurten 100 with caffeine has kind of nasty taste, but without caffeine has no taste. I also like Maurten drink mix, but recently have been favoring Beta Fuel.

Keymaster
    Jane Mackay on #60588

If I’m going slowly enough, I find potatoes + prosciutto to be like long-lasting rocket fuel. If I’m going faster/harder and can’t handle food that solid, I find my body tolerates white gluten-free bikkies (cookies) really well. By white I mean shortbread style. One I love and that keeps me going for a long time is quite substantial and has a dollop of apricot or chocolate filling. The fact of them being GF seems to make them easier to digest. I don’t like or tolerate gels well at all, so the bikkies are my main sugar along with dried cranberries. I also just discovered Trail Butter, which is mad delicious — basically dried fruit, nuts, chocolate, maple syrup etc. all blended together. Haven’t tried it out on the run yet. https://www.trailbutter.com/

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.