Running the same hill or running rolling hills

• Creator
    Topic
    brian wynne
    Participant

hey guys..I’m training for a 100k mountain run with 3800m. It is mostly off trail,kinda like fell running,it has 2 big climbs around 800m but my question is,i only have 1 hill thats 400m and on my long runs i run up and down to get big vertical gain but do ye think i should run every second week over a trail with rolling hills on my long days for running turnover but i wont get the big vert and maybe its not as specific.. i was wondering too do you ever recommend running say a moderate 90% effort on the long run,kinda like what some top marathoners do….thanks so much in advance…

Posted In: Mountain Running

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #43206

…do ye think i should run every second week over a trail with rolling hills on my long days for running turnover…

Yes. In addition to handling the elevation, you need to be able to handle the distance of the event. I would mix it up to get conditioned to both.

…do you ever recommend running say a moderate 90% effort on the long run, kinda like what some top marathoners do…

That depends. 90% of what? “of effort” is too vague. It depends on where your aerobic and anaerobic thresholds are relative to maximum and relative to each other.

Relative to maximum, pro marathoners have anaerobic thresholds in the low-90%s and aerobic thresholds only 5-8% below that. And they typically measure them by pace, not HR or effort.

In contrast, a runner with an undeveloped or damaged aerobic system might have an anaerobic threshold of only 80% of maximum and an aerobic threshold as low as 65% of maximum.

Here’s an article on how to self-assess your aerobic system:

Aerobic Self-Assessment for Mountain Athletes

Participant
    brian wynne on #43207

I’m sorry,I meant like 90% of aerobic threshold..if your 10% of the anerobic threshold,ye say to run the long runs in zone 1 but do ye ever subscribe say for a 3hr run with maybe 1hr zone 1 and then say 2hr in zone 2 up to aerobic threshold especially on the hills 3-4 weeks out from a race to train the demands of the race…

Inactive
    Anonymous on #43224

There are a lot of moving parts, but in general, yes, you want your training to be as specific as necessary.

How much actual time in Zone 2 (90-100% of AeT) is spent by the runner depends on the person. Someone with very close AnT / AeT thresholds would only do intervals in that range, likely starting with #x 6′ and progressing to ~18′.

In contrast, a runner with a large AnT / AeT gap could do all of their training right at the top of Z2 (100% AeT) because it’s not as stressful.

Does that help?

Participant
    brian wynne on #43239

That’s helps Scott.. thanks for replying..love all the content ye guys put out..just amazing…

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.