Neuroma and lower body strength training suggestions

• Creator
    Topic
    bpfishback
    Participant

Was diagnosed with a neuroma in my foot about three weeks ago, have had the condition for about five weeks total. I’ve stopped running during this time as well as strength training for my legs while it seems to be slowly getting better. Mainly been doing core, upper body, and aero bike workouts. Are there any suggested lower body/leg exercises I can do that will help me maintain my strength without aggregating the neuroma? Guessing stuff like split jumps and possibly lunges are out, but how about squats, and dead lifts and similar exercises with less impact?

Thanks,

Bp

Posted In: Injury & Rehab

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #38812

Bummer about your neuroma. You could still do a lot of hip strengthening movements like side lying leg lifts, clamshells, and bridges, to strength the smaller stabilizing muscles that support good biomechanics. I had a neuroma many years ago and found that my peroneal muscles (lateral lower leg) were crazy tight. I did a bunch of manual work on them as well as foot mobility stuff, and that helped it go away. It still occasionally rears its head but if I focus on good hip extension while running, it’s fine. I’ve seen in my massage practice that people with neuromas also have tight hips and quads, so working on lengthening the hip flexors and quads can help you be able to get full hip extension in running. Good luck!

Participant
    bpfishback on #38986

Thanks, those are great ideas. Has been a while since I have done any hip exercises.

Participant
    Pete Dickinson MS,PT on #39431

You can still participate in weight bearing exercise that pressures through the heel, instead of forefoot. Deadlifts are the premiere hip strengthening tool. Single leg ‘bench squat’ with the back leg up on a chair also allows for some single leg work but with the ability to pressure through the heel.
    Pete

Participant
    bpfishback on #39438

Thanks Pete, having a hard time finding the single leg squat with a chair. Is that same as a Bulgarian split squat? Or is it literally with the squatting leg elevated on a chair/bench? Would a pistol squat work as well?

Participant
    Pete Dickinson MS,PT on #39450

I’ve called it a ‘balance squat’, your back foot is elevated onto a bench or chair, basically a lunge position with the back leg elevated. Pistol squat can work, but may place greater challenge in minimizing load through the forefoot.
    Pete

Participant
    bpfishback on #39505

Great, I get it now. Thanks again!

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.