Max Strength takes too much time

• Creator
    Topic
    riccifabio95
    Participant

I’m near the first week of the Base period, starting with 4:30 hours now i have 5:43 hours first week.

My problem is that the Max strength with all the resting and the scott warm-up takes almost 2 hours, bananas, i’d like to do a cragging day because i’m still a newbe and i need to improve my movements (your 5.10b , a 6a+ for my fellow europeans is my max grade)

I’ve attached my workout and my week plan, i’m doing in short this 4 excercises:
    Bench Squat
    Pull Up
    Turkish get Up
    Isometric Hanging

every set i rest 3 minutes (4 for the turkish)

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • Participant
    Mariner_9 on #57086

Hi riccifabio95,

My max strength workouts used to take ~1 hour. I would basically do circuits which allows you to rest one group of muscles while you work another. Stretching during rest periods also helps use your time most efficiently. HTH.

Participant
    riccifabio95 on #57087

Thank you, So you do the exercises one after one without resting and after one set you rest for 4-5 minutes ?
    I have a friend who do that but I thought the books said differently, because if you do so it’s not max strength anymore but an high intensity circuit, that is different in my opinion.

Also a single exercises do not isolate the muscle because for example the Turkish require a lot of muscles, the pull up require core so the bench squat.
    In your way seems like more an high intensity cardio

Participant
    LindsayTroy on #57089

Two things.

First, and most importantly. Why are you doing 3 minutes of squats for max strength? It should be 4-6 reps, likewise for 1 min of pull ups?

Second,

Also a single exercises do not isolate the muscle because for example the Turkish require a lot of muscles, the pull up require core so the bench squat.

When you’re doing squats, are you feeling it mostly in your core? Or is your comment just that they both use your core.

I’ve been doing what Mariner_9 has been doing, making supersets and resting between supersets.

Participant
    Mariner_9 on #57090

“So you do the exercises one after one without resting and after one set you rest for 4-5 minutes?”

I combined my max strength and core workouts into one session and added some upper body exercises. I would do a set of lower body exercises (e.g. lunges) then a set of upper body (e.g. pull-ups) then a set of core (e.g. weighted plank). That meant little overlap in muscle groups used and so each muscle group got sufficient rest before being used again. I take your point on the Turkish though that wasn’t an exercise I was doing.

Participant
    riccifabio95 on #57093

First, and most importantly. Why are you doing 3 minutes of squats for max strength? It should be 4-6 reps, likewise for 1 min of pull ups?

Good point it’s too much, i think with 1 minute i can do one set of bench squat and 20 second of pull-up i didn’t think too much about it sorry.

When you’re doing squats, are you feeling it mostly in your core? Or is your comment just that they both use your core.

No i was just saying that you have muscular overlap and it doesn’t seems right

Attached i took a picture of the book where explain how to do this workout, it say allow 3 to 5 minutes after sets (plural) but in the table it doesn’t seem like he ask for superset.
    I don’t think anyway there will be great difference in both ways, i suppose you don’t have floppy muscles so i’m gonna go your way

Attachments:
    Participant
    jakedev on #57109

Hi ricci,

So if you look to the right under Forum index you’ll see list of topics and within each is all the forum posts regarding that topic. There is Max Strength link and there are alot of good conversations to clear some stuff up.

I think most people use supersets in the interest of time unless there is a specific weakness to work on. Because you are right. Doing each exercise individually with 3-5 min rest between sets takes way too long

1 min of bench squats and 20 sec of pull-ups is still too much, save that for when you do ME. Just before the page you copied you’ll see the following quotes below (LindseyTroy’s point about only doing 4-6 reps).

“Use a load that would allow you to do no more than five reps. (Or use 85–90 percent of your one repetition max.)”.

House, Steve; Johnston, Scott. Training for the New Alpinism (p. 283). Patagonia. Kindle Edition.

AND

“Use sets of one up to a maximum of four repetitions.”

House, Steve; Johnston, Scott. Training for the New Alpinism (p. 283). Patagonia. Kindle Edition.

Participant
    riccifabio95 on #57120

So if you look to the right under Forum index you’ll see list of topics and within each is all the forum posts regarding that topic. There is Max Strength link and there are alot of good conversations to clear some stuff up.

I used the search tool an didn’t find anything useful for the first 4 pages, and in addition i clicked the max strength in the forum index but it says there are no result, i think it’s a site fault (attached proof)

1 min of bench squats and 20 sec of pull-ups is still too much, save that for when you do ME. Just before the page you copied you’ll see the following quotes below (LindseyTroy’s point about only doing 4-6 reps).

Cmon 1 min of bench squat for 2 legs and 4 repetition each is reasonable, so the 20 second for 4-5 pull up

Btw thank all for the answers

Attachments:
Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.