HR Zones and Medication

• Creator
    Topic
    deckersdan
    Participant

(Posting this again because my first one wasn’t showing up. Assuming the site flagged a word and blocked the post)

Unfortunately this isn’t about Hermann Buhl’s epic ?mph?t?mine-fueled descent of Nanga Parbat, but about a college student in over his head with math classes.

I’m currently in the transition period getting ready for a summer of peak bagging, bushwhacking, and technical alpine climbing, focusing my training mostly on my weak point which is aerobic endurance. That being said, I am in classes and have ADHD, so I take an as-needed prescription of Vyvance.

One of the noticeable effects of vyvance is an increase in heart rate. I have already confirmed with my primary physician that it is safe for me to exercise after taking vyvance, but am curious about the effect it would have on my heart rate zones or if much research has even been put into this in the first place?

I usually run in the mornings and take vyvance afterwards, but on days like today where I’ve slept in, I’m curious about whether my workouts will be less effective since I must maintain a slower pace in order to stay situated below AeT. Is elevating the heartrate to zone 2 sufficient aerobic training in and of itself or do other physiological stresses need to be present? Thank you!

• Participant
    deckersdan on #57842

Unfortunately this isn’t about Hermann Buhl’s epic meth-fueled descent of Nanga Parbat, but about a college student in over his head with math classes.

I’m currently in the transition period getting ready for a summer of peak bagging, bushwhacking, and technical alpine climbing, focusing my training mostly on my weak point which is aerobic endurance. That being said, I am in classes and have ADHD, so I take an as-needed prescription of Vyvance.

One of the noticeable effects of vyvance is an increase in heart rate. I have already confirmed with my primary physician that it is safe for me to exercise after taking vyvance, but am curious about the effect it would have on my heart rate zones or if much research has even been put into this in the first place?

I usually run in the mornings and take vyvance afterwards, but on days like today where I’ve slept in, I’m curious about whether my workouts will be less effective since I must maintain a slower pace in order to stay situated below AeT. Is elevating the heartrate to zone 2 sufficient aerobic training in and of itself or do other physiological stresses need to be present? Thank you!

Participant
    Dada on #57882

Following

Participant
    Dada on #57883

Following here as well

Thomas Summer, MD on #57908

Buhl’s trip on pervitin (which was used by the nazis in world war 2) is indeed legendary. But take a look at pictures of him afterwards…
    Lisdexamfetamin is affecting HR, so it is recommended to do the tests for determining your HR zones under the same conditions as you train in. If you determined your zones without Vyvanse and then train with it, your HR will be higher. So you will have the same HR at a slower pace. That is maybe the same training effect on the cardiovascular system, as it is pumping the same amount of blood. But it’s not the same effect on the muscular, which is also to a large part dependent on speed and power.
    I would recommend determining your HR zones with and without Vyvanse and train accordingly. And when in doubt always use the lower numbers.

hope this helps!?

listen to your heart and take it easy!
    Thomas

Participant
    Brett on #58015

I would think you would want to re-test your AnT and AeT after taking the meds to see where your zones are. I had the opposite after getting on anti-anxiety meds (HR lowered), so retested my zones and found that both my Ant and AeT lowered by about 7 bpm.

Participant
    Reed on #58033

I’m also curious to hear about what you learn! And on a tangential note, I found John Ratey’s book Spark to be really interesting and useful. He’s a professor at Harvard Medical School focused on ADHD, and also the author of Driven to Distraction.

http://www.johnratey.com/Books.php

The short version of Spark: exercise, particularly low-intensity aerobic exercise, is at least as powerful as if not more powerful than modern pharmaceuticals at helping alleviate ADD / ADHD, anxiety, certain addictions, depression, and a few other maladies. Appropriate combinations of interventions are up to you and your doctor, of course. Just another reason besides peak-bagging to spend time in aerobic zones…

Participant
    juskojj on #58958

i’m on meds for adhd and depression. have been for a long time. i just do my AeT as described and go by the numbers it gives me. seems to be working, although i did notice a big drop in pace but i believe that’s attributed to the drop in volume of work outs when i started working again and having several weeks of only getting 1 work out in due to being sick and a thrown out back where i could barley move…..

MarkPostle on #58965

Love this thread, also following along. I second the notion of doing an AeT drift test both while on the meds and not to get a feel for the scale of the difference. It would also be interesting to look at the times you log on a known “home course” that you do regularly at the same avg HR but one having taken the meds before hand. My guess is the differences will be modest enough that even whilst on the meds you can still train within 10% of your AeT times and thus be in Zone 2 either way just maybe towards the bottom of Z2 in term of “effort” from a muscular and neuro sense. If the intensity you’re doing the aerobic endurance training at is lower than ideal you may be able to make up a bit of the lost ground from a muscular/neuro standpoint with ME type weighted carries etc when that is appropriate in the training cycle.

Participant
    kimandjack3 on #59407

Thanks for the discussion. being a human resource manager of EduHelpHub I have faced the major difficulties in managing the entire situation regarding proper candidate hiring and also the managing training and developmental program. therefore practicing the right policy and medication becomes the essential part of the suggested job role.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.