Heart Rate Drift

• Creator
    Topic
    JeremyG
    Participant

I’ve been reading a bit about HR drift and think I understand the processes behind it. My question is, do I need to slow down my effort towards the end of my aerobic workouts (usually running) to keep my HR below my tested AeT or just keep my effort the same (as measured by breathing and pace) as it was before my HR started climbing? Also, along the same lines, I’ve noticed in the Summers when it’s hot my HR for a given effort is 10 to 20 bpm higher. For aerobic workouts, is it ok for my HR to climb above my tested AeT with the understanding that my HR isn’t a good measure of what’s actually happening metabolically under these conditions? Every other indicator (breathing, pace, recovery) except HR says these hot runs are being done under my AeT. Thanks so much! You guys have been an invaluable resource for my training.

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #7440

Jeremy:

If you see the HR climb during the run it means this run was conducted above your current Aerobic Capacity. So if you want that run to be an aerobic base building run you need to slow it down. Realize that aerobic threshold moves about from day to day. But, as a rule, you would want slow the pace during the run as you notice HR start to climb,

On hot days there is not as much blood available to carry oxygen to the muscle because more blood is being shunted to the skin for cooling. This causes the HR to rise for a given pace and the effort to feel harder. I am unsure of the metabolic affect this has but would suspect that you need to slow the pace accordingly is there is less O2 available for the work being done.

Scott

Participant
    JeremyG on #7441

Thanks for the reply and helpful info. Not what I was hoping to hear though. It’s just so hard to run so slow most of the time! Anyways thanks again.

Keymaster
    Steve House on #7465

Jeremy-It won’t be slow for long! Keep with it.

Keymaster
    Steve House on #7466

And just in case you did not yet see this: https://uphillathlete.com/heart-rate-drift/

Participant
    Janes on #7505

Today I did a 5k flat run at my upper nose breathing speed and the ratio Pa:Hr=-2.66%, with the IF=0.8
    Can someone please explain what that means?

Thank you!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.