downhill questions | Uphill Athlete

downhill questions

• Creator
    Topic
    us
    Participant

My training plan mentions to keep the HR in a certain range e.g. AeT-10 to AeT during a hike.
    A. For the downhill portion of the hike , my HR does not go above low Z1s even if I go faster downhill.
    I ran down during a downhill to increase HR and was badly sore for a couple of days.
    Is it ok to jog downhill comfortably (and disregard the HR) ?

B. I have noticed downhill running generally to be a big problem since quads take a long time to recover even after repeated massaging.
    In a previous post on downhill running Scott J mentioned a Strength Training link

Strength Training for the Mountain Athlete

Is it possible to just isolate the downhill impact exercise(s) ? e.g. weighted box step ups and downs ?

Thanks

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #25098

A. Yes, disregard your HR and descend comfortably. As you’ve seen, trying to descend at the same heart rate will take too long to recover from.

B. What do you mean “isolate the impact exercises”? If you feel that you need to strengthen your legs for descents, then you can descend with weight.

Inactive
    Anonymous on #25100

The Gym based Muscular Endurance routine described near the end of the article you linked to will do a great job of helping your legs handle down hills. Read about Luke Nelson’s success with this approach in his Tor d’Geant race last year.

Scott

Participant
    us on #25103

>B. What do you mean “isolate the impact exercises”? If you feel that you need to strengthen your >legs for descents, then you can descend with weight.

I meant a specific exercise to simulate and train the downhill jog/running impact (esp. quads)
    Makes sense to descend with weight.

Thanks.

Participant
    us on #25104

Thanks Scott.

Found the following section in the article.
    “Specific Workout for Runners and Skiers
    The following Gym based ME program is ideal for runners, skiers, alpinists……”

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘General Training Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.