Beginner Tips | Uphill Athlete

Beginner Tips

• Creator
    Topic
    kevinmeier211
    Participant

Hola,

Im transitioning to mountain running. Im a bigger guy, having spent the last ~5 years doing cross-fit-like workouts without much cardio and very very little running. I now live in Utah at the base of the mountains and would like to improve my mountain/trail running. I purchased the Intro to Ultra Plan, but after looking at it dont think Im ready for it just yet.

So my plan was to start with 3 days per week doing 45-60 min treadmill or flat running at sub AeT HR (using 180-age to start with), 1 longer trail run/hike, and 2 strength sessions per week, but with running incorporated (more than rower or airbike).

Im planning on losing some weight, from ~215 to about 200. I dont have plans to be competitive at all, I just want to enjoy the mountains and being able to travel decent distances in them.

After my fitness improves a fair amount I would either do the intro to Ultra plan or possibly a custom plan.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks
    Kevin

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #40854

This sounds like a good approach. The only thing I would suggest is to do a drift test when possible rather than using the MAF formula. With a history of Crossfit, your aerobic threshold may be lower than what MAF suggests.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • The forum ‘General Training Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.