AeT test after 8 weeks…

• Creator
    Topic
    mzkarim
    Participant

Hi,

I am in Week 8 of the 24-week Mountaineering Plan and did a recheck of my AeT today.

AeT when I started the Plan (7+ weeks ago, on treadmill, using chest HR strap, Pa:HR of 2.44%):
    https://home.trainingpeaks.com/athlete/workout/72PK45VYDAFJNTI4FEYTRMETSU

AeT today (on treadmill, 0 incline, 5.8 speed throughout, using chest strap HR monitor. The Pa:HR was 1.54%. My Garmin Forerunner 735XT watch did not say “External HR attached” like it usually does; however, I have not known it to record inaccurate rates even if it does not display that message, which happens occasionally):
    http://tpks.ws/U5U7X7YT3LMVVTI4FEYTRMETSU

Questions: Is 156 as my AeT now? If so, should I update my TP settings to use that as the top of my Zone 2 and use that for all subsequent workouts from here on out OR should I start the 24-week Plan from the beginning using 156 as my AeT to solidify my aerobic base further? I don’t have any climbs for about 10 months and am not pressed for time, so can modify the training as much as possible for maximum benefit. My goal is Bolivia and Ecuador, starting next summer.

Thanks!

• Participant
    mzkarim on #44027

I have a half marathon coming up this week that I’m looking forward to.

Participant
    mzkarim on #44028

Although my Garmin watch didn’t say “External HR connected”, my heart rate was noticeably higher than the 142 in my earlier test and was at a comfortable pace where I could talk in complete sentences with little effort, so I don’t think this was an inaccurate test.

Inactive
    Anonymous on #44043

It sounds like there’s a chance that the optical monitor was used rather than the chest strap. I would ignore the most recent test, use the Garmin option to disable the wrist monitor during all activities, and re-test.

Participant
    mzkarim on #44112

Thanks, Scott.

I did just that and these are my results today (treadmill incline: 0; speed: 6.3, my Garmin did say “External HR Connected” this time). Pa:HR was 3.3%:

http://tpks.ws/MFY3YXQ3EVN5TTI4FEYTRMETSU

At the end, I was tired in my legs, not aerobically. Should I update my Garmin and TP settings to use 148 as the top of my Zone 2 and use that for all subsequent workouts from here on out? That’s about a 5% gain from my previous 142. As stated above, I can start the 24-week Plan from the beginning using 148 as my AeT, since I don’t have any climbs for about 10 months and have enough time.

Thanks!

Participant
    mzkarim on #44279

Any thoughts on this?

Inactive
    Anonymous on #44440

I don’t think the test can tell you anything useful. Notice that during the total time of 1 hour there was 15 minutes in the middle where the HR dropped a lot. You must hold the pace constant through the full test on a treadmill. I don’t know what happened in the middle of this test but I would not rely on it.

Scott

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.