Aerobic Threshold Test

• Creator
    Topic
    JPEDDER
    Participant

Hi all, sorry a newbie question I’m sure others have had, I did a search but not really seeing the answer.

I have just purchased the 24 week plan. Today’s workout was a AeT test on a treadmill for 60 mins. I did the warmup and established an easy pace, conversational with a HR of 105. Treadmill was set at 10% grade and my speed was 3.7 mph.
    First 30 mins I have an average HR of 105, second 30 mins was 107 average.
    There are instructions in the workout explanation to upload this data to trainingpeaks, I have done so on the workout.

I am not seeing how these numbers are used in any calculations in TP. On the Zones page is Threashold HR, Max HR and resting HR. Then there are several calculation methods to select from, none of these seems to take AeT numbers into account.

Just trying to figure out what to do with these metrics?

Some help would be much appreciated, thanks very much

Jon

• Participant
    JPEDDER on #13243

Sorry typo above. HR 107 for the first 30mins, HR 105 second 30 mins.

Inactive
    Anonymous on #13246

So your HR actually trended down in during the test which indicates that the HR you stared the test at was below your AeT. Re do the test using a higher starting HR. Bump it 5 beats. When the second 1/2 HR is 5% higher than the first 1/2 HR you’ll have found your AeT (the starting HR).

When TP say’s Threshold they mean anaerobic or lactate threshold. The second and higher threshold that measures endurance capacity. Read this:

Confusion – Zone 1 + 2: TftNA vs TrainingPeaks

let me know if you need more info on this.

Scott

Participant
    JPEDDER on #13259

Thanks for the quick response Scott, I repeated the test today.

This test was end of the day and Id been on a plane, so was in a different setting that Mondays. So I brought HR up to 109 for the initial 15 mins, then hit the split. For the next 30 mins average HR was 112, then the next 30 mins also average of 112. Treadmill was 10% and 3.8 mph.

Maybe I’m simply not going hard enough, an easy aerobic pace to me maybe is too light. Thinking I need to do this again but working harder?

Cheers

Jon

Inactive
    Anonymous on #13342

Jon;

This test again indicates essentially zero upward HR trend over the duration of the test. Bump HR again and retest. Try 120 as the start HR next time.

Scott

Participant
    JPEDDER on #13645

Hi, at last I managed a re-test, just hate the treadmill 🙂

Today 20 min warm-up 3% grade and 4.5 mph. Ave HR 120. Grabbed a quick drink of water, then executed

30 mins at the same settings with Ave HR 127
    Last 30 mins ave HR 136

TCX file attached, Thoughts?

Thanks very much

Jon

Inactive
    Anonymous on #13653

Jon:

I can’t see the file. But 136/127 = 1.07 or 7% decoupling. So 118-120 is prob OK to use as AeT.

Scott

Inactive
    Anonymous on #13654

Jon:

I can’t see the file. But 136/127 = 1.07 or 7% decoupling. So 118-120 is prob OK to use as AeT.

Scott

Participant
    JPEDDER on #13657

Thanks VERY much Scott, appreciate you taking the time to reply. I do have a follow-up question, I’ve seen asked before and read through previous posts but don;t see a definitive answer.

So if I assume my AeT is 118, how should I plug this into TrainingPeaks ? There are many methods to select and the threshold they have I believe isn’t AeT. Wish they have an UHA calculation to make it easy 🙂

Of course I can manually enter my zones but I’m unsure what formula to use to calc them.

Thanks again

Jon

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.