Advice on home blood lactate test (Lactate Pro 2)

• Creator
    Topic
    PeteDub
    Participant

Hi Folks,

Hope you are all keeping well.

I completed my first blood lactate test today using the Lactate Pro 2 based on the recommendations in Training for the Uphill Athlete and this forum. I got some unexpected results which makes me think that I didn’t complete the test correctly. I was hoping that maybe somebody could give me some advice on the results?

I used to cycle but I was involved in a accident so I started running in the late last year (haven’t been running for very long). I’ve been focusing on Z2 training for about 5 months now but I had ADS when I first started so I’m still on the slow side.

Details of the test are as follows:
    I’m 44 year old
    I had assistance with the test (brother) to take the samples
    Treadmill set to 5% incline with 10 min warmup
    Increased my speed by 0.5km every 5 min (to give enough time to reach equilibrium between tests)
    My resting lactate was 1.8 mMol/L
    Graph Pic attached and details of results below

Observations from the test:
    I didn’t feel great today and my HR raised a lot quicker then normal, not sure of this was white coat syndrome
    Felt my resting lactate was higher then I expected, would 1.8 be normal for resting? It was morning time and I was fasted
    Don’t think i warmed up enough on started testing too quickly?

I’m not sure if these results look correct for working out my current AeT? My HR usually wouldn’t raise this fast day to day so not sure if this is reliable data. I seemed to drop to 2mMol at around 145bmp but I was on the high side before then?

Any recommendations/advice would be greatly appreciated.

T/Min Speed HR BLC
    0 0 1.8
    10 6 119 2.5
    15 6.5 125 2.4
    20 7 130 2.3
    25 7.5 135 2.7
    30 8 141 2.5
    35 8.5 145 2
    40 9 150 1.9
    45 9.5 154 2.3
    50 10 156 3.6

Thanks and kind regards,
    Pete

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • Participant
    PeteDub on #69396

Apologies, looks like the table didn’t format correct when I posted…Graph pic also attached in original post.

Thanks,
    Pete

Participant
    Reed on #69477

A 10-minute warmup seems pretty quick, and could be the reason for what looks like elevated blood lactate at lower intensities. The dip to 1.9mmol/L at 150bpm is a nice data point. If you can, I’d suggest redoing the test – start out with very gradual 20-30 minute warmup, and then jump right in at 7km/h or so. I’ve also generally found 3-minute segments to be sufficient.

Participant
    PeteDub on #69484

Hi Reed,

Thanks very much for taking the time to review my post. The 10 min warmup kind of happened by accident as we intended to do some earlier testing to get used to the monitor but ended up progressing from there. Based on your feedback, i did a quick test today were I set the treadmill to 7%, did a 30 min warmup keeping HR between early to mid 120’s and slowly ramped up to a steady 142hr. I jumped off and tested at 1.6mmol/L so the extended warmup definitely made a big difference. I’m going to run the ramp test again at the weekend.

Thanks again for your help with this, really appreciate it.

Kind regards,
    Pete

Participant
    getfstr on #72600

Did you get more reliable results after this?

I just got the same Lactate Pro 2, but readings are all over the place, even at rest: 2mmol, then 1.6, then 1.5 – all tested one after each other.

Wonder if the blood drop I’m squeezing out of my finger was too small. Any ideas highly welcome!

Participant
    Andreas on #72612

I also use a Lactate Pro 2 but for me it’s been consistent as long as I do the measurement correctly. However, I have a feeling that it’s very, very sensitive to contaminations which probably is connected to the small volume of blood that it requires.

I mainly reacted to you writing “squeezing”. The blood should flow out easily by itself. Otherwise you should punch another hole or scrap the measurement altogether. Recommendation would be to get a bigger lancet or punch deeper. And don’t forget to wipe away the first drop.

Blood Lactate Test Protocol: Tips and Tricks

Participant
    PeteDub on #72613

Hi folks,

Yes I’m getting a lot better reading these days. Like Andreas mentioned, it’s very sensitive but I changed a couple of things which has really helped with consistent readings. The first is that I no longer use Alcohol wipes when testing myself. I now setup a basin of water with soap and a towel before I jump on the treadmill and wash my hands before testing. I just seem to get better readings when I wash my hands, as I think the wipes can contaminate with the blood sample size being so small. The next thing I do is wipe away the first drop of blood and test the second drop. Try not to touch the trip of the strip with your finger, just the tip of the blood. I also noticed if the blood drop runs on the finger it’s no good, so like Andreas mentioned, try to find a good spot on your finger and don’t squeeze the drop out.

Good look with it, it’s a great little device once you get the hang of it.

Best regards,
    Pete

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.