2x Failed AeT test

• Creator
    Topic
    nkerber
    Participant

Hi all,
    I’m a 23yo male with 3 years of ski mountaineering experience primarily in the Cascades. I’ve read new alpinism and done a lot of zone 2 training in the past but never followed any actual regime and decided to get serious about it this spring. I was running/hiking/climbing 20-40 miles a week over the summer but broke my ankle in a climbing accident in august and it’s taken me a while to get back into running. I have been doing a lot of stairmaster and ski touring over the last 2 months, but almost no running.

I’ve taken the AeT test twice now and “failed” both times – the first time, I went out at an HR of 153 which I thought was a good bit below my Z2 limit, and saw a drift of 6.5%. I figured 48 hours was enough rest time and dropped to a 145 avg HR, but my legs were feeling very tired from the get and I ultimately saw a drift of 9%. I didn’t see any guidance in the plan on how long to wait between attempts at the test. I’m hoping for some advice on the best course of action from here… I’m on the 12 week mountaineering plan and there’s not a whole lot of wiggle room in the schedule for multiple retakes.

• Keymaster
    Jane Mackay on #85584

Hi nkerber,
    Have you managed to do a successful test? To answer your question, how much time to leave between tests depends on the individual and what else is going on that could cause fatigue. Since you got a drift of 6.5% at 153, you could take 149 or maybe 150 as your starting AeT and retest again in a month or so when you can fit it with the rest of your training.
    Hope this helps.
    Jane

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.