zone1-nose breathing

• Creator
    Topic
    debourgknecht1
    Participant

I am strugling with the nose breathing benchmark for the upper limit of zone 1 because I cant identify a treshold where nose breathing becomes “noisy and labored”. For exemple, if I am constantely nose breathing during a 2 hours workout, does it mean that I have been in zone 1 during most of this workout or can the intensity still be too high?

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #8961

Good question.

First, one quick correction: the upper limit of nose breathing would be the top of Zone 2 rather than Zone 1.

Second, if your breathing doesn’t feel noisy and labored, then I think it’s safe to say that you’re below your aerobic threshold. (The top of Zone 2 is marked by the aerobic threshold.) In that case, you could continue at that intensity or increase your pace until your breathing becomes noisy and labored.

Third, it’s not necessary to train right at your aerobic threshold all of the time. The “noisy and labored” quality is just a good benchmark to feel when you’re there.

Fourth, it is possible to nose breathe above your aerobic threshold, but usually, it happens if you haven’t warmed up slowly enough.

I hope that helps.

Participant
    debourgknecht1 on #8964

Hi Scott,
    Thanks for your answer.
    According to TFTNA, nose breathing becomes noisy and labored at the end of zone 1. Here is the exact sentance in the book: : “AS you increase the intensity/speed gradually, note the point at which this nose-breathing becomes noisy and labored. This is the upper end of zone1”
    Would it be a fair aproximation to say that nose-breathing becomes labored and noisy at the end of zone 1 and that it usually becomes almost impossible (or at least highly uncomfortable) at the aerobic treshold (end of zone 2)?

Inactive
    Anonymous on #8965

Thanks for bringing that up. That could definitely be the case.

I’ll ask Scott J. to weigh in and clarify.

Participant
    Frantik on #8967

it was clarified in this post https://uphillathlete.com/forums/topic/aerobic-theshold-and-zones/ that there is a misprint in the book about this.

The AeT is the top of Zone 2

Inactive
    Anonymous on #8970

Thanks Frantik for digging up that old forum post

debougknecht 1
    While this is a misprint in the book and I am embarrassed by it (we’ll have to wait till the net printing of the book to correct it) it’s not really important what you call the upper end of the basic aerobic zone, either zone 1 or 2. What is important is that ventilation markers like nose breathing or conversational pace can be good markers of the aerobic threshold. If you can maintain a conversation or breath through your nose, chances are decent that you are in an aerobic metabolic state. This is not a 100% fool proof method, especially when one has a history of lots of high intensity training (I can’t tell you why). What is the HR you are maintaining for this 2 hour workout? How old are you? Can you get up the next morning and repeat it at the same pace? And then do this again the next day and the nest and the next? Then you are below your aerobic threshold. If you are too tired to repeat it the next then it was too high of an intensity the first day.

I hope this help.
    Scott

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.