Zone 2 and ADS – Should I Run Trails, or no?

• Creator
    Topic
    ryan.ernstes
    Participant

I’ve recently discovered that I am Aerobically Deficient, so I’ve set out to build my aerobic base by doing almost all my training in Zones 1 & 2. After about 2 months of base training, my AeT is approximately 136.

The trouble is, I live in an area with excellent trail running and a lot of vert. I basically have to walk all uphills in order to keep within my aerobic threshold. Should I keep avoiding trails and sustained hills until my AeT increases, or should I train on trails too, but run VERY slowly? It feels really frustrating not to be able to run the great trails I have nearby. Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks!

Posted In: Mountain Running

• Participant
    Diego on #57602

Ok Grazie

Participant
    Aaron on #57615

For what it is worth: I do lots of slow hiking on uphill trails followed by downhill running, or alternatively running and hiking on rolling trails. My feeling is it is totally fine for Z1/2 training effect but does reduce my running economy on the flats. For most of my goals I am only running downhill (non-race off trail mountain exploring summer foot and winter ski) so my flat and gentle uphill running economy does not feel like my limiter. However, if I was more race/running oriented I would spend more time making sure I am road running at Z1/2 plus strides etc to get my economy up.

Viewing 2 replies - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.