Where can I find the Strength/Core workouts?

• Creator
    Topic
    Chris
    Participant

Hey All,

Where can I find the Strength and Core workouts for the 24 Week Mountaineering program?

Looking at that program, it states “1x core routine and 1x general strength from Training for the New Alpinism book.”

When I look at the TFTNA table of contents, it has chapters on Strength, but doesn’t seem to have workouts.

Looking at the table of contents of the Training for the Uphill Athlete book, it does seems to have workouts/programs.

Where can I find the exercises/programs I need for this training plan?

Thanks!

Posted In: Mountaineering

• Participant
    Tobias on #70843

Have a look into the attachments of the first few workouts in the plan or notes. That was the place where I could find the PDFs for it, at least in the alpine plans it is like that.

Participant
    Chris on #70845

Awesome, thanks Tobias! I’ll check in the plan I purchase.

I was trying to get an idea of the workouts before and was thinking I could see them in the book (if I knew what book it was in).

Participant
    Tobias on #70855

In the book training for the new alpinism the core routine is described, and the general strength exercises are described as well. I cannot tell you where, as I use the kindle version, but the pictures should be easy to find when scrolling through 🙂

Keymaster
    Jane Mackay on #70872

Chris,

you can download Scott’s killer core routine here: https://uphillathlete.com/strength-training/scotts-killer-core-routine-pdf/
    And there’s an explainer video here: https://uphillathlete.com/videos/how-to-do-core/

You can download the general strength plan here: https://uphillathlete.com/strength-training/general-strength-routine/

Participant
    Chris on #70873

Thanks, Jane! That was what I was looking for!

Participant
    makelifemovebetter on #72945

Hey! I’m a bit confused about the strength part of the training plan. It says:

General Strength:
    Use enough resistance or assistance so that you can just barely manage 12 reps of each of the prescribed 5 exercises: Box Step Up, Step Down, Pull ups, Split Squat, Dip without reaching failure. Using that same resistance or assistance do 10 reps of each exercise and rest 60″ as you move to the next exercise in the order listed above.

Does this mean I do one round of 12 reps and then another round of 10 reps where I rest for 60 in between each exercise?

My second question. It says:

Week 1-2: Do 2x through Core and General circuit.
    Week 3-4: 3x through and add weight where possible in order to keep 10 reps

Does this mean I do 2 rounds of Core and then 2 rounds of general in Week 1 and 2?
    in Week 3-4, do I do 3 rounds of both? and the third round of the general strength I’ll do at 10 reps, not 12?

Thanks!

Keymaster
    Jane Mackay on #72973

Hi makelifemovebetter,

Q1: No, you use the 12 reps as a guide to select the appropriate weight or assistance (e.g. on pullups). You want a weight or assistance that takes you to or near failure on the 12th rep *if you were to do 12 reps*. For the workout, use this weight or assistance and do 10 reps, resting 60 secs between exercises. Note that you do NOT want to reach failure doing the exercises. You want to be at around 80% of your max possible for each exercise.

Q2.
    weeks 1-2: yes 2x through both circuits, always at 10 reps for general strength
    weeks 3-4: yes 3 rounds of both. For general strength stay at 10 reps and 60 secs rest btw exercises, but add weight or reduce assistance if necessary to keep your maximium number of *possible* reps at 12. The point is to keep the effort you’re expending at around 80% of max.

Remember with the core to pay strict attention to form. That’s key.

Does that clarify?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.