walk/run Galloway method of training

• Creator
    Topic
    ScottyP
    Participant

I posted this running question under Alpinism since that’s what I’m ultimately training for. I’ve been cross training using trail runs with a friend who is a ultra trail runner. He uses a method of running 8 minutes followed by a rapid walk for two minutes and back into running. He continues this cycle up to and including his 50 mile trail runs. What is your opinion of this type of training and its impact on the type of physiological changes you are targeting in The New Alpinism?

Posted In: Alpinism

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #4994

Scotty:

We use run/walks a lot with folks we coach. Here’s how: First if the terrain dictates walking because it is too steep to keep HR in the desired zone then you should walk. Second if one does not have an extensive running background and wants to increase the length of the training session then mixing running and walking is a great way to to do this. Running of course if harder because of the impact and greater muscle mass involved but the training benefits of walking on steeper terrain will be even more sport specific for your intended goal. If you are very fit then walking on the flats may be too easy and not provide much training stimulus unless you adopt a race walking type of technique.

Scott

Participant
    ScottyP on #5215

No concerns about cycling into and out of an anaerobic state?

Participant
    Mariner_9 on #5221

“If you are very fit then walking on the flats may be too easy and not provide much training stimulus unless you adopt a race walking type of technique.”

When you say “not provide much training stimulus”, what does this mean? HR is too low (i.e. more like active recovery than Zone 1)?

Asking because I’ve tried walking to work (~20 km or 12 miles) but my HR averages below 60% and the duration is less than 3-hours. My concern is that this is not having much training effect and so is basically a waste of time.

Inactive
    Anonymous on #5235

Scotty P:
    By using a gradually progressive run/walk program for folks who have low aerobic fitness and/or who have not done much running we’ve had great luck building them up to the point that they can run aerobically in a few months. The run/walk allows us to introduce the impact of running gradually and intermittently which also improving aerobics at the same time. We use a short interval type approach starting with 30s of running and 2 min running and then slowly increasing the run:walk ratio. The run duration is short enough with a long enough walk duration that the effect is still largely aerobic. We’ve used this approach with may clients who have told us they can’t run, never have run, don’t like to run etc. and it seems to work 99% of the time and they end up saying the love running 6 months later.

Mariner:
    Walk faster then! I’m not being facetious here: I suspect that vigorous walking will allow you to break a sweat and raise your HR above that 60% level that your seeing now. You may find that 2 hour fast walk is pretty darned tiring in fact. You’ll get a good training effect from it. Race walkers can hit 8min/mile for the 50km race. A 20km walk to work in 2+ hours would mean about a 11-12min/mile pace. You’ll need a shower when you get to work though. This could be a really good aerobic base builder. Especially if once a week you walked to and from work. You’d be accumulating some serious miles on those legs. Use what you have at hand. You’re already half way there with this idea of walking 20km to work. Now speed it up 2-3 days a week and see what happens.

Scott

Participant
    Mariner_9 on #5241

Scott, thanks for your comments. Lots of food for thought in your response here and in the thread on beginner advice for zone 1/2 workouts.

Participant
    kocanez on #21873

NM/edited/answered my own question!

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.