Volume Progression

• Creator
    Topic
    uphill_dhamma
    Participant

Hi,

Volume Progression, especially during the early (pre-season?) phase of the year.

I’m opening a new topic regarding this question in order to make it clear and available to other users who will look for the same answers.

As stated above my question here is about a rather conservative approach to take during the early (early) phase of our plans.

On TFTUA there are pleny of good rules about an ideal volume progression: 10% rule, 15% rule if we are increasing distance/vert at the same time and of course the example plans for cat. A/B runners.

But what I see is that basically every week we are always increasing one (ore more) metric involved.
    What about a steady volume for two (or more) weeks in order to let the body adapt to the new training stimulus?

Given that our sport has to do with so many variables (distance, vert, intensity, ecc…) things obviously get tricky. It’s not a plain mileage progression plan (as road races).

What’s your opinion on this?

My A and B goal races will take place from mid spring to late summer of the next year, with the most demanding ones peaking around 80km 4500mD+.

At the moment I’m dealing with a weekly volume (almost 100% easy in order to build a strong Aerobic Base) of around 90-95km 3000D+ per week (8h) with 1-2 days off.

The idea would be to keep on slowly increasing it from now to the next spring gradually adding intensity and volume according to the plans on TFTUA (specific weeks, etc..).

As I already said, for this year, the idea is to really start from scratch (just coming out from OT and ADS) so I think that the graduality here is a MUST.

Thanks

Posted In: Mountain Running

• Participant
    uphill_dhamma on #30214

Also on this, Jack Daniels’ principles on increasing weekly mileage:

• Stay with one amount of running for at least 4 weeks
  • Do not follow 10% weekly mileage increase rule
  • Let your body adjust to a certain amount of stress before increasing volume
  • Inactive
    Anonymous on #30233

I think you have misinterpreted the guidelines we put in the book.

First: We do not increase training volume continuously. We cut volume by 50% or more every 4th week. We do this with mountain runners.

Second: The mechanical stress of running on flat ground is significantly higher on road runners than on mountain runners who are running on soft trails with variable stride lengths and impact forces. This imparts a different and lower neuromuscular stress than road running on pavement where every stride is the same. Daniels is dealing with road runners.

And finally:
    That being said there is not wrong with holding volume (as measured by distance and vertical) constant from week to week. In fact if you read the Progression Guidelines on page 304 the first bullet point says:

For the smoothest long term progression, keep the distance, vertical and time increases at 10 percent or less from week to week except for recovery weeks…..

Notice that 10% is the maximum increase not the recommended increase.

Further bullet points in that list offer other MAXIMUM increases not minimum or normal increases.

I hope this helps.
    Scott

Inactive
    Anonymous on #30260

Also, changing loads (or not) is where the art of training and coaching comes in. Formulas are rough guides that will work for most people. But if you find a different training rhythm that works for you, by all means, use it.

For example, I respond better to a three-week cycle, so that’s what I use. Training can never be one size fits all.

Participant
    uphill_dhamma on #31131

Scott(s), sorry for the late reply.

I had the chance to read your responses only today, thanks.

And yes, I think I misunderstood some basic notions on the book.
    At the moment I’m trying to deal with a 4 cycle (soft) progression.
    Given the fact that I never used this (wise) approach I really hope to reap the benefits in the future.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.