Using AeT/tests from other sports?

• Creator
    Topic
    Chris
    Participant

Hey All,

Is it possible to use AeT tests from other sports (cycling in my case) for hiking/mountaineering training?

I’m just getting started with TFTNA for hiking/mountaineering, coming from a mountain biking/cycling background. I want to start by testing my AeT. I’d like to do the test indoors since 1) it’s easier to control all the variables, 2) just getting back to hiking any 1 hour hike by me (WA) will likely put me above my AeT.

I don’t have access to a treadmill and I don’t run so a track is out.

I do have a bike/indoor trainer and could use that to do the tests, and/or use my existing AeT/AnT from cycling.

I assume I can’t use that since I’m fairly trained in cycling but not in hiking so it wouldn’t apply well.

• Participant
    Eddie on #70822

> Is it possible to use AeT tests from other sports (cycling in my case) for hiking/mountaineering training?

From what I understand, AeT and AnT tests are sport and training specific. Results from one may not cross over to the other, as metabolic demands of the workings muscles are different – Even more so, I would think, if you’re well trained in cycling but not hiking.

Participant
    Chris on #70823

Thanks, Eddie. That’s what I would have assumed.

Does anyone have any thoughts on doing the AeT test for hiking when untrained, without a suitable 1 hour outdoor hike, and not having access to a treadmill?

Participant
    Eddie on #70836

This doesn’t answer your question, but in my opinion, rather than focusing on proxy testing, I’d focus on performing aerobic workouts, which is what matters anyway.

You can start with MAF and increase/decrease as needed. And if you’re able to recover day after day, you’re at or under your AeT. See Scott Johnston’s comments in – https://uphillathlete.com/forums/topic/aerobic-threshold-ventilation-vs-lactate-need-advice/

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.