TSS vs hrTSS in TP program

• Creator
    Topic
    George
    Participant

Thanks to Pedro I have just upgraded from Base to the Intermediate plan. I recovered from long flu and start doing a lot of mountaineering on our highest mountain with e.g. 10 hours uphill in my Z2. So the Base level did not provide enough load to further improve my Fitness (CTL). Now in my new plan, I read a 1-hour Z3 workout at maximum exertion with a heavy backpack. And it suggests that this is only 120 TSS! In my experience, this should result in much higher hrTSS. Is the metrics of the plan done in hrTSS? I am asking this question because something went wrong a few days ago in TP and instead of calculating hrTSS it calculated rTSS, so after a Z2 45 min exercise I got an rTSS of only 3! This opened my eyes that something is wrong and my 11:40 hours climb should be recalculated. Thanks to Pedro he cleared the problem which I still do not know how appeared?

pedro on #75152

All the workouts should be put as Hrtss , runtss is related to pace , TSS is related to power ,we are working with heart rate , so it should be Hrtss so that every workout corresponds to your efforts .

Participant
    a-m-e on #75346

Thank you for this post — I have been using Training Peaks for years and had always relied on hrTSS, but for some reason my hike/jog workouts are defaulting to rTSS for this program. They have been very low, way below the planned numbers. I’ve gone back and manually changed them to hrTSS, and now the values seem much more accurate.

Thanks again for pointing this out!

Participant
    George on #75351

I tried to figure out in the TP Settings a possibility to make it mandatory to calculate hrTSS but could not find such an option. If somebody knows how to do it, please help.

pedro on #75380

Hi Geoge,

For changing the type of tss you have to enter on your workout and change it, it only possible on the computer. After you change the first on, Tp is going to ask you if you want to change for Hrtss for definition, after you press yes , all workouts from that point on will be in Hrtss

Cheers

Participant
    George on #75393

Hi Pedro,

TP did not ask me to use hrTSS as the default after I changed several metrics. Also, I asked in the group meeting and they explained but I did not get it – how can I zoom the HR scale, so it is not from 0 to e.g. 140 but e.g. fro 120 to 140? Thanks.

pedro on #75394

Hi George ,

Tp only changes forwards , he doesn’t corrects to hrtss.
    For example , if you change today to hrtss he will ask if you want to define all as hrtss , you need to say yes , and from now onwards all workouts will be on hrtss.
    Zoom the heart rate scale ? Where? Why ?

Cheers,

Pedro

pedro on #75395

Hi George ,

For example , if you change today to hrtss he will ask if you want to define all as hrtss , you need to say yes , and from now onwards all workouts will be on hrtss.

Cheers,

Pedro

pedro on #75396

Hi George ,

Cheers,

Pedro

pedro on #75397

Hi George ,

Cheers,

Pedro

Participant
    George on #75574

Hi Pedro,

What you suggest does not happen on my computer. When I changed rTSS to hrTSS it did not ask me to make it the default! I tried in several workouts – it does not work. For the future workouts in the plan it says TSS, without defining how to calculate it. This is very annoying as I have in every workout to manually change from rTSS to hrTSS.

Regarding zooming the HR data channel. Attached is one of my recent climbs. HR scale is from 0 to 135 probably. So I can see much in it. I would like to make the scale e.g. from 100 to 135. Actually, TP should have done this automatically: in every workout they must check the min and the max HR and set the scale automatically. Nobody trains at 0 HR! Hope now my prblem is clear. Maybe you suggest my proposal to TP developers as this is important.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    pedro on #75588

Dear Athlete,

All your training should be on hrtss , after you enter in on workout and change the tss , Trainingpeaks asks if you want to have the workouts from now onwards as hats

Go to your workout

/Users/pedrocarvalho/Desktop/Screenshot 2023-02-11 at 14.53.49.png

/Users/pedrocarvalho/Desktop/Screenshot 2023-02-11 at 14.55.04.png

Change your tss to hrtss

/Users/pedrocarvalho/Desktop/Screenshot 2023-02-11 at 14.55.38.png

TP will ask to set tp as definition

/Users/pedrocarvalho/Desktop/Screenshot 2023-02-11 at 14.55.57.png

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Participant
    lapotka on #75623

I recall having a similar problem a year ago, I’m sorry I couldn’t rack down exactly what I did to fix it but it was something to do with my watch, I was logging exercises as “hikes” or “walks” or some other “activity” on my Suunto watch. I went to calling everything a “run” when it’s a training activity and everything works better in training peaks. I think training peaks functionality is best with traditional running and biking and there may be dome data translation mix ups with other forms of activity logging. hope thats helpful.

Participant
    George on #75637

I have approached TP support regarding making hrTSS the default for all workouts. It seems this is not possible and it can be done only for Run workouts as Pedro is showing on his screen. Here is their answer: “The hrTSS default setting is currently only available for workouts that are labeled as Run. Your Hiking workouts are labeled as Walk, so the hrTSS default popup will not populate for that activity type. Hope this helps clarify.” So we have to change this manually on every workout. Or, our coaches have to relabel the hiking workouts as Run.

Regarding my other request to have an auto-range or zoom on the HR vertical axis so you see more clearly the HR data, e.g. not from 0 to 140 bpm, but from 100 to 140 – this is not possible currently and I was suggested to write in TP forum as a suggestion for the software developers.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.