Transition back after Trek trip and couple weeks off

• Creator
    Topic
    CanadianDude
    Participant

Hi all,

Recently I went on a trip to Asia for two weeks to trek and climb some mountains. Mostly hiking with some mountaineering. 10 days, highest elevation around 16,000 feet. Thanks to TFNA, I felt terrific !

I lost about 8 lbs. Pretty normal.

Came back. First week I had jetlag so didn’t do a thing. And I felt sick most of the week.

2nd and 3rd weeks I started to do some light runs and speedwalks. Short strength sessions and finally did a weighted stairs session.

I feel weak, slow and my HR is spiked.

Before I left I had almost finished base period with ME.

So…where do I begin again? No specific trip or objective…more winter scrambles and hikes .

Any advice is welcome 🙂

• Participant
    Jan on #30466

After a demanding multi-day hiking trip, I normally try to take as many days off as the trip was long. So that would be 10 days off in your example.

If you felt sick the first week, I wouldn’t count that as recovering from your trip. And it is probably a sign that your trip was pretty demanding for your body.

When I get back to training, I normally do rather short Zone 1-2 sessions for 3-4 days without really having a structure, just to see how it feels. If it feels good, I start regular training with about 50 % of what I did before the trip for a week, if this works fine I might jump back to 100 % the next week.

I was surprised how long it takes to get back to my normal training after a demanding multi-day trip, but this seems like the only way it works for me.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.