training with ankle weigts?

• Creator
    Topic
    Chet
    Participant

Ski mountaineering is my endurance passion…..even though Scott has said you won’t improve doing stairmaster two days a week, some of my training during COVID has been inside on elevated treadmill and stairmaster and stairclimber……I sometimes use ankle weights (I think 2.5 lb each) thinking that skis boots and skis in the real world are certainly weights……anyway on one of the skimo podcasts here a month or two ago it was opined that the best uphill ski training was actually with the LIGHTEST boots and skis !? So question regarding training (zone one and two especially) what role should (or not) training be with ankle weights ? if, when, what situations? what strategy? thanks, Chet Roe

Posted In: Ski Mountaineering

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #52369

Ski mountaineering is my endurance passion…

Do you mean ski touring or skimo racing? The training and demands are different.

..even though Scott has said you won’t improve doing stairmaster two days a week

Me or Scott J.? If so, can you link to the comment for context?

, some of my training during COVID has been inside on elevated treadmill and stairmaster and stairclimber……I sometimes use ankle weights (I think 2.5 lb each) thinking that skis boots and skis in the real world are certainly weights……anyway on one of the skimo podcasts here a month or two ago it was opined that the best uphill ski training was actually with the LIGHTEST boots and skis !?

Again, it depends what you’re training for. In general, going light, increasing speed, and then adding weight is more effective (across a wide variety of uphill sports) than it is to add weight from the beginning (and practice going slow.)

So question regarding training (zone one and two especially) what role should (or not) training be with ankle weights? if, when, what situations? what strategy?

As suggested above, I would start with building lightweight speed and then gradually introduce extra weight. A big part of skimo racing is a high cadence and becoming efficient at it. Adding weight prematurely will interrupt that practice. But if it’s ski touring we’re talking about, then cadence is less of a factor because it’s no one’s racing (usually.)

Participant
    Chet on #52405

ski touring/mountaineering NOT racing…..Scott Johnston said/posted “in example” sometime ago that essentially a couple of days a week on a stairmaster is NOT good enough training for endurance sports (duh? I don’t remember where he posted this specifically)…..I did the Heathen Challenge at Sunlight fifteen years ago on tele gear for fun….enjoyed it but I don’t care about racing in general…just want to be more optimal in training for touring……makes sense but good to hear that training light early on and adding weight later is more optimal…..Thanks Much!! Chet Roe

Participant
    Mariner_9 on #54776

I used to do ME training (stair climbs with weights) using both ankle weights (~2kg each IIRC) and a weighted pack. Rationale was to try to emulate as closely as possible the ‘weight on feet’ and ‘weight in pack’ I would use when splitboarding.

Re the Stairmaster quote – I believe what Chet had in mind is a quote from TFUA, “A trio of forty-five-minute stair machine workouts a week will not allow you to reach your ultimate potential”. Not the same thing as “you won’t improve”!

Inactive
    Anonymous on #55346

“A trio of forty-five-minute stair machine workouts a week will not allow you to reach your ultimate potential”. Not the same thing as “you won’t improve”!

Excellent distinction.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.