Training with Ankle weights

• Creator
    Topic
    Jan
    Participant

Hi,

I was wondering what the experts here think about using ankle weights. Would these make sense, either for (weighted) hiking as a aerobic workout or for weighted hill climbs as ME-Training?
    During normal hiking, I see the risk that the weights change your stride too much. I think that’s something I read in the book “The Outdoor Athlete”, and it kind of makes sense. What do you think?
    But during the weighted hill climbs? Most people will probably have more weight on their backs than on the goal climb, wouldn’t it make as much sense to put more weight on your feet?
    Also, instead of using your heavy boots, you could use trail running shoes + ankle weights. You could save the expensive boots from some abuse and probably also work the muscles in the foot and ankle more in trailrunners.

Cheers

Jan

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #16090

Jan;

Yes, I think ankle weights could be a good idea. I’ve never used them nor do I have an experience with anyone who has. It would mimic the heavier mountaineering boots or skis and ski boots. You can try it out and give us a report.

Scott

Participant
    Jan on #16095

Hi Scott,

thanks for the answer.
    What I take out of it is that you would just mimic the weight of the goal climb boots, not actually put more weight on your feet. So I will keep adjusting progression in ME hill climbs via pack weight and elevation gain.
    As I do a lot of my bigger outings (multi-day hikes) in trail runners, I will keep wearing just these for the ME sessions. In the end of June I will climb 2 easy 4000m-peaks in mountaineering boots, so I will add in the ankle weights some time befor this goal climb.

Keymaster
    Steve House on #16135

Jan,
    I have an athlete whom I coach who has some foot-issues. He is a high-altitude mountaineer and so we use ankle weights to mimic the weight of his boots (we don’t use more weight than that.) in order that he can wear his best, most supportive shoes. We also use the ankle weights as a frequent-traveler he often trains on a treadmill.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.