Training peaks and stress score

• Creator
    Topic
    jake.barber88
    Participant

Afternoon,

I was wondering if there was an exact stress score per fitness increase on training peaks?

Also does it increase, the higher your fitness level is?

I felt that getting to 60 was fairly consistent but if I miss training for a day or 2 when Im above 60, it drops off easily. Does that mean I need a higher amount of TSS to get the same jump in point? If yes, how exactly does it work?

Thanks
    Jake

• Participant
    OwenFW on #44132

Fitness (CTL) is a rolling 42 day average of your daily TSS.
    Fatigue (ATL) is a 7 day average of your TSS that accounts for the workouts you have done recently.
    Form (TSB) is the balance of TSS equal to yesterday’s fitness minus yesterday’s fatigue.

When you take rest days, your CTL will always drop off by a similar amount as a proportion of your total CTL, but when you’re working with bigger numbers (ie CTL of 60 vs 20), the absolute numerical drop will be larger. I.e. 5% of 60 is more than 5% of 20, just to pick some numbers out of the air.

Participant
    sgw on #44349

I just read about TP.com and signed up for the free test-account.

Then imported the logs from my Garmin watch (which I started to use with July 2nd, other watches before …): the dashboard on TP looks very interesting to me and I am surprised by my current TSB of “-50” … whoa …

The graph starts with CTL=0 .. ok, TP didn’t “know me” before that date, so the raising ramp of CTL might be too optimistic 😉 / this tells me I should rest and slow down.

Thanks for the explanation, I will see how that applies to me.

EDIT: I found that I hadn’t entered the correct HR threshold .. so I recalculated and now it’s TSB -30 … ok …

Inactive
    Anonymous on #44387

@sgw: Unless you are actually starting from zero, you can ignore the TP metrics for at least the first six weeks. As Owen alluded to with the moving averages, it’ll take at least that long for TP to “catch up” to you.

Also, don’t assume that TP metrics are precise. They’re better than TRIMP or counting hours, but they’re only relevant to you. Two people with the same metrics will always perform differently.

CTL, in particular, is a very poor measure of “fitness” even though TP likes to call it that. It’s more of a reflection of general work capacity. How that work capacity is expressed (from runners to mountaineers to cyclists, etc) will vary widely.

Participant
    sgw on #44398

@sws: Thanks, Scott, for that information.

I think I won’t upgrade to TP’s paid subscription (I like to keep regular costs down …), I just was interested as I found it mentioned in the article about the Heart Rate Drift Test:

I am trying to determine if I *suffer* from ADS and how much, and so I came to the Test (which I haven’t done yet) and TP for getting that drift value.

In the Garmin App Store there’s a datafield called “Cardio Drift”, it seems to display that live value during the activity. I assume that could help staying in the correct zone for the test as well.

Today my copy of “TRAINING FOR THE UPHILL ATHLETE” should arrive, that will help also 😉

thanks, Stefan

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.