Struggling to get into Z3 on elliptical

• Creator
    Topic
    davelockyer101
    Participant

I’m about 3 months into a TtUA training plan based on the ones in the book, focused on building to a long mountain ultra. Earlier in the week I redid an AeT on the elliptical using HR drift protocol and had a 0.67% drift at 152 bpm which I think is not far off my AnT Today I did another workout on the elliptical and wanted to do some 20 mi ute Z3 work but really struggled to get my heart rate above 156 no matter how hard I was pushing and am wondering why. May be general fatigue in my legs or is my Ant pretty much equivalent to me AeT. Any thoughts?

• Participant
    Dada on #38254

Not getting your HR up can have a couple reasons:

A) Symptoma of overtraining
    B) The exercise is too easy

If you were training close to your AnT for a couple months there is a chance you developed signs of overtraining. I would test AnT as sport specific as possible so you can determine your AeT in the next step correctly.

Participant
    davelockyer101 on #38316

Thanks. The bulk of my training has been in Z1 & Z2 and I have a background in MAF so don’t think I’m overtrained. Think I need to try and do the AeT on a treadmill and compare as well as doing an Ant test. Will take a look at the protocol for that. On the Elliptical I can nasal breathe at 153bpm for an hour with minimal HR drift although the effort feels pretty high. May be that I’s so used to Z1 & 2 effort?

Inactive
    Anonymous on #38330

Only use MAF as a last result with no better information. If you’ve done a drift test, you can ignore it. We also don’t use the nasal standard anymore because we found that athletes with severe ADS can still nose breathe at high outputs.

…is my Ant pretty much equivalent to me AeT.

I’ve never heard of that. The closest I’ve seen of the two threshold is ~5%, so that would be the high-140s for you.

You could try an AeT-type test at ~140 to see what happens. It sounds like you may have inadvertently turned an AeT test into an AnT test.

Or better yet, get a lab test done.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.