strength training in an extended base period (as per TFTNA)

• Creator
    Topic
    ian_gunn1
    Participant

I am sure I am not alone in having had my plans for 2020 squashed. I am now concentrating on an objective in late summer 2021, and whilst I may have some lesser trips between times I want to prioritise and if necessary make sacrifices for this main trip.

Looking at the TFTNA plan there are 8 weeks transition (which I am currently back in). Then 20 weeks of base before the specific phase.

My question concerns the strength training in the base phase which has 8 weeks of max strength, and then moves in to muscular endurance for the next 12. If you have a lot more time than 20 weeks to devote to base, do you extend both these phases, or vary them according to what you perceive as your weaknesses? I think it is clear from the book that you have to train base strength before targeting muscular endurance, so do you spend all or most of your extra weeks on max strength, and leave about 12 weeks for muscular endurance?

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #47776

Yes, I would add more capacity training and leave the ME as is, especially if it’s your first time using it.

Participant
    ian_gunn1 on #47779

What do you mean by ‘capacity training’?

By ‘leave the ME as is’ do you mean keep with 12 weeks of ME and use all your extra time on more Max Strength?

Participant
    Aaron on #47977

TFTUA adds discussion on ‘capacity’ vs ‘utilization’ training in an explicit way that TFTNA does not. Google search ‘capacity training’ and ‘Uphill Athlete’ returns this excerpt article from the TFTUA on TrainingPeaks:

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/training-for-the-uphill-athlete-capacity-vs-utilization-training/

CAPACITY TRAINING: TRAINING THAT IMPROVES THE LONG TERM PERFORMANCE POTENTIAL OF THE ATHLETE. CAPACITY TRAINING IS COMMONLY PRIORITIZED DURING THE BASE PERIOD. THIS TRAINING ACTS TO IMPROVE THE FUNDAMENTAL QUALITIES NEED TO SUPPORT THE EVENT ITSELF AND UTILIZATION TRAINING. AS SUCH IS OFTEN NOT SPORT SPECIFIC.

UTILIZATION TRAINING: TRAINING THAT IMPROVES THE NEAR TERM PERFORMANCE RESULTS OF THE ATHLETE. UTILIZATION TRAINING IS COMMONLY PRIORITIZED DURING THE BUILD-UP TO THE COMPETITION PERIOD OR THE TARGETED EVENT. THIS TRAINING MODELS THE SPECIFIC DEMANDS OF THE EVENT YOU ARE TRAINING FOR.

So yes, I interpret Scott S is suggesting adding more on the base/MaxS side vs ME.

Inactive
    Anonymous on #48043

Thank you, @aaron.

@ian_gunn1
    : Bear in mind that this forum is a free service. We are happy to answer questions, but we are not on call. So comments like “Well?” are not necessary.

Onward.

As the article describes, capacity training is any training that is maximal. That could mean maximum speed, maximum strength, maximum (effective) duration, maximum oxygen usage, maximum fat usage, etc.

Capacity measurements are benchmarks against which training and performance intensities can be measured.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.