Steeps, HIkes & Weights

• Creator
    Topic
    ascasson
    Participant

Context: I’m in the midst of the base period for the 16-week mountaineering plan, but I’m reworking it since my AeT/AnT difference doesn’t seem to warrant going to Z3 weighted work yet. AeT efforts it shall be.

The Steep and Hike workouts don’t reference carrying weight of any kind or if I should wear my mountaineering boots, at least early on. So far I’ve only been carrying a pack with simple items like drinking water and simple first-aid, along with boots. What’s a recommended approach to these workouts relative to weight?

For the steep workouts, the best steep sections I can come by require an approach and also repeating the hills, which extends the total time out quite a bit. Is that reasonable relative to overall weekly volume?

Lastly, if my hike should be 2hrs and requires 2k feet of gain, but I can’t find a hike that does that vert in the time (unless it’s very high angle), is it reasonable to extend the hike time volume?

That’s a lot…but very real questions. Thank you!

Posted In: Mountaineering

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #42098

The Steep and Hike workouts don’t reference carrying weight of any kind or if I should wear my mountaineering boots, at least early on.

Yes, weight is added later in the plan.

For the steep workouts, the best steep sections I can come by require an approach and also repeating the hills, which extends the total time out quite a bit. Is that reasonable relative to overall weekly volume?

If it’s not interfering with recovery or life, then it’s no problem to extend sessions below AeT.

Lastly, if my hike should be 2hrs and requires 2k feet of gain, but I can’t find a hike that does that vert in the time (unless it’s very high angle), is it reasonable to extend the hike time volume?

Again, yes, if it doesn’t cause issues elsewhere. You’ll need to work with what you have, so I would prioritize volume, getting as much gain as you can in that time, and increasing the volume when appropriate.

Participant
    ascasson on #42118

Thank you Scott! For anything involving longer approaches (time on foot) that are below AeT leading up to or away from the core experience, should I count that time as volume as well? Or just the expected workout?

Inactive
    Anonymous on #42125

Definitely count approaches. It all adds up over time.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.