Sport specifity: Mountain running vs. mountaineering

• Creator
    Topic
    Dada
    Participant

Hi,

What would you suggest mimics ski mountaineering in terms of sport specifity best: uphill running or mountaineering?

Best regards,
    Dada

Posted In: Ski Mountaineering

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #29375

Do you mean ski touring (heavier gear, slower pace, slower cadence) or skimo racing (light gear, faster, high cadence)?

For the ski touring, mountaineering is probably closest.

For skimo racing, uphill hiking and roller skiing would be the most specific.

Of course, running won’t hurt either.

Participant
    Dada on #29398

I meant ski touring.

The reason I’m asking: I was mainly training for mountaineering and running at best hilly but mainly flat terrain (due to ADS). Today, I did my first mountain run and although I was right at AeT, my muscles in my legs were burning a lot. There were trashed right after in a muscular way). So to me this means there is not so much specifity between mountaineering and running uphill for my case.

Do you think training uphill running will still benefit my main sport in winter, which is ski touring?

Or is there something else wrong?

Best regards
    Dada

Inactive
    Anonymous on #29442

As long as you’re at or below AeT, it can’t hurt.

However, very few people can actually run uphill and still be aerobic. “Mountain running” is a misnomer for most people unless they’re specifically training at a high intensity. Usually, most base training would be uphill hiking.

Participant
    TerryLui on #31463

Mountain Hiking just doesn’t have the same ring to it as Mountain Running lol

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.