Running versus x-country, Peloton, hiking, snowshoeing

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

A couple of questions…Predicate to deciding on a training plan…

I live in Tahoe, have had both TKR’s, don’t have a treadmill and they’ve closed the gym. I’d like to do a heart rate drift test, but haven’t seen specific instructions that don’t require a treadmill or running on land. I also have had both knees replaced so starting a training program with impact that I haven’t done in years makes me nervous. I DO have a Peloton and very convenient access to a top flight groomed and maintained x-country ski trail system. I downhill, back country and x-country. Can hike, snowshoe, ski and stationary bike. But I don’t wanna rush into running.

Where should I start? Which training plans would folks recommend?

Thanks.

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #48391

You should not rush into to running! Good call on not trying the HR Drift test by running. No non runner should do that. XC skiing will not be a good method either due to the undulating nature of the the terrain and the vast speed difference between the ups and the downs. So, that’s out. A stationary bike can be used but it is highly unlikely to give you the same results as a foot borne test. Rather than waste time on that I’d recommend using the MAF method described in our article: “Aerobic Self Assessment for Mountain Athletes”. That’ll get you close enough to give guidance until you have access to a stair machine of treadmill. As another check on intensity: Keep all your aerobic base training at no more than a conversational pace. Those are simple ways to get started.

Scott

Participant
    Diana on #48432

Hi there,

I am also a Tahoe area resident, and I’ve been having a great experience so far this winter doing a lot of my aerobic base training on classic skis. The past couple years I’ve only been skate skiing, and I realize that dragged me into too much unintentional Z3 (moderate intensity). What I love about my classic skis with skins (no wax!) is that I can slow down and just walk steep hills, then return to kick and glide when the pitch eases up a bit. Plus it mimics backcountry touring nicely. Enjoy your winter base time. It’s the best!

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.