Running outside V treadmill

• Creator
    Topic
    tracyroth1
    Participant

In the plan some say run/hike hilly terrain with no mention of a treadmill, some have the option of a treadmill. Does this mean only some runs/hikes can be done on a treadmill? and others must be done outside? or can all be adapted for treadmill use?

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #59940

Sorry for the misunderstanding. That’s my fault. You can run/hike on a treadmill for any of these aerobic base workouts. Vary the grade of the treadmill from time to time.

Scott

Participant
    brianbauer on #59962

over the past year I have logged many, many hours on my treadmill as part of my Ultra trail racing workouts. my work schedule does not always allow for outside workouts.

if you are new to treadmill running, I will share a few anecdotal things that I have noticed:
    1. running on a treadmill always seems easier than running outside. I don’t fully understand why, but it may have something to do with the “bounce” of the treadmill surface
    2. instead of focusing entirely on the treadmill speed(MPH) to set your pace, focus on HR and perceived effort. MPH on treadmills is pretty unreliable
    3. I cannot explain this but: when I run outside at the same HR and PE as the treadmill, my moving pace outside is always quite a bit faster than my treadmill pace. my theory is that the treadmill absorbs propulsion energy and the hard ground outside does not.
    4. running at inclines on my treadmill of up to 12%, with 20 min intervals at 10% has absolutely helped my LT, and overall ability to run hills outside.

Participant
    tracyroth1 on #59982

Wow! Thanks for this. Yes this was my concern. As it’s dark by the time I get home from work and before work, And running on dark country roads or the woods in the dark at night, is not something I am comfortable with.

Good to know I can still effectively co plate this program using a treadmill when I have to.

Inactive
    Anonymous on #59987

I and many of the people I have coached have all experienced what tracyroth1 has. Treadmills are harder than running outside. Seems counterintuitive. Same thing when you use steeper grades. Feels much harder than a trail of the same grade. So, you are getting good training on the machine.

Scott

Participant
    brianbauer on #60580

I’ll share another story about indoor training: about 15 years ago I was a Cat 3/4 road bike racer, mainly doing crits. I did 99% of my training before work on a Schwinn spin bike using only a HR monitor. my outside work included a Wednesday night club practice crit, then races on weekends. everyone told me I could not be competitive by training on a spin bike. my last year racing I was 2nd in the state champs crit race…I went off the front at about 1k to go, I was only pipped at the line because I lacked the experience to simply look behind me and see the guy coming. I made a poster of me losing by about 2″. also note Taggart VanEtten.. set the 100 mile treadmill record and translated that ability outside at Tunnel Hill. he trains mainly on a treadmill.

indoor training works, especially if you have a treadmill with incline.

Participant
    Melanie Hunter on #60966

Brain and Scott,

Thanks for posting your experiences and observations about treadmill running/indoor training. I’ve always wondered about the efficacy of treadmill running vs. outdoor running but don’t have enough consistent training experience with running to know if my subjective perception (that treadmill running is a good alternative when it’s dark/icy outside) is accurate.

Participant
    eric on #61141

Chris Clark from Anchorage won the 2000 US Olympic trials/marathon training on a treadmill. https://alaskasportshall.org/inductee/chris-clarks-olympic-trial-victory/

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.