Rest Days & Active Recovery

• Creator
    Topic
    Garret
    Participant

Hi

Do folks consider exceptionally low intensity activities like a 2×30 min bike commute as a good thing for Rest Days ?

I find a day doing no activity leaves my legs and muscles tighter and my mental state less rested than after a day that includes 30 min rides to / from work (virtual bike rides these days 🙂 ).

I also like to add in some restorative yoga and roll ball massage late in the day.

I’ve also seen reference to doing core workouts on rest days – but will that create a training stimulus and be counter productive ?

– Garret

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #43134

If they are truly low intensity, then it makes sense that they’ll help. It’s not universal, but it is common to feel a little sluggish with full-on rest.

Core also shouldn’t be a problem.

Participant
    rich.b on #43145

Garret, I would second your preference to do an easy ride as a rest day – although I prefer to label it active recovery. I have always found it helpful to get some low-intensity, non-impact movement to loosen up a bit.
    [That said, no matter my injury or recovery needs I have to get in an early morning 30-min bikejoring session for my dog’s training.]

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.