Question about determining AeT and AnT

• Creator
    Topic
    Chrisleembhc
    Participant

First post didn’t work so reposting………

Just starting out and want to get it right….

According to the MAF (Maximum Aerobic Function) Formula 180 – age = AeT
    Therefore, I would be 180 – 51 = 129 AeT

I’ve been working out pretty hard and steady for a couple years with running 3x a week. My 10 mile average bpm at full speed is 156, so I figure this is my AnT. So I’m trying to figure out the 10% TEST.

Here’s my QUESTION: the MAF predicts me to be 129 AeT. However, this week I ran 10 miles 3x with 100% nose breathing, no over exertion, felt fantastic and my average bpm was 144. Should I use the 129 or 144 as AeT cuz this drastically affects the 10% TEST?

Thanks,

Chris
    Vermont

• Participant
    llaurent2006 on #71413

Hi Chris,

I’m 51 and I had the same kind of discrepency. In the Book Training for Uphill Athlete, I beleive they mention that MAF often underestimate the AeT for decently train. I had the same experience as you did where my MAF HR is 129 while I gelt it xas cmoser to 142 when running. I did a gas exchange lab test focusing on measuring AeT vs VO2max and came out with 144 bpm. This is also consitent with my Pa:Hr <2%. For me nose breathing is not a good indicator as I have trained nose breathing and can nose breath doing interval thesholds. Hope that helps. LAURENT

Participant
    Student on #71423

Maybe try the heart rate decoupling test? You can find the details on this site. In short you run on a track or flat terrain for an hour at a steady pace. Record your heart rate with a chest strap and see if the second half of the run has an average more than 5% compared with the first half. If you are right at the 5%, that is your Ae limit. Details can be found on the site:

Heart Rate Drift: A Functional Measure of Aerobic Fitness

Good luck!

Participant
    slowandsteady on #71757

MAF OVER estimated my AeT by about 35 bpm. And I could breathe through my nose and talk well above my AeT, but apparently that’s not uncommon with athletes who’s training history was all high intensity and going all out

Participant
    dcgm on #71788

I don’t think anybody has mentioned this yet, but 10mi is probably a bit long for an AnT test unless you’re terribly fast. The book answer, iirc, is 30min-45min depending on fitness, with fitter athletes closer to 45min and perhaps the very fittest needing 60min. Friel talks about a 30min time trial with a fast finish, for everyone.

Participant
    flash25296 on #72188

I did a Heart Rate drift test and got a response that I think means run it again with a starting higher heart rate. Can anyone confirm that the Pw:Hr X.XX% is the metric we are using in Training peaks? The UA website say Pa:HR X.XX%

Sorry to crash this thread but it felt similar enough to not start a new one.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Participant
    rcj on #72240

Flash, you are correct. That is the number you’re looking for, and based on the book’s advice, that percentage is a bit low, so start with aslightly higher heart rate. However, it’s pretty close and you could reasonably add a beat or two to your starting number and use that as AeT.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.