Only base training/general fitness

• Creator
    Topic
    nleatham
    Participant

Hello,
    Currently, I have no big mountaineering goals. I’ve been getting more into the sport and just want to spend more time in the mountains learning for the next year or so. As such, I’m not sure how to proceed with training. My aet is 154~ and my ant is well above 170 (haven’t done the test but I have ran for over an hour at this hr) so I definitely have ads (I’m 23). I’m pretty new to this type of training and my aet top of zone 2 pace is abysmally slow (13:00/minmile).
    I want to spend the next 6 months to a year just spending time base building and improving my general fitness. At the moment, I’m running every weekday for an hour in z2, but I’m sure I could be doing something better. Is running every day like this okay for base building? Or, should I get something like the 24-week mountaineering plan and just repeat the base building section over and over?
    Any advice is appreciated, I’m weak af but really enjoying endurance training.

• Participant
    Reed on #50946

You should be able to see consistent improvement for a long time – it’s great that you have no immediate goals but are looking to build fitness and capacity. Taking a structured plan like that 24-week mountaineering plan and repeating the base period would be a great idea.

Consistency, gradualness, and modulation are key: https://uphillathlete.com/dreams-are-not-goals/

Spend as much time as you can well below AeT – targeting 10-15 beats below will be a good conservative approach. Slowly improve your strength. I’m not breaking any records, but was able to make really substantial progress with a schedule that looked like this:

• Monday: 30-40 minute Zone 1 jog. 30-40 minute core strength workout (Scott’s Killer Core, easy version), maybe some lunges, etc.
    • Tuesday: 30-40 minute Zone 1, maybe a little bit in Zone 2
    • Wednesday: 30-40 minute Zone 1, maybe a few striders (10-15 second accelerations)
    • Thursday: 30-40 minute Zone 1. 30-40 minute core strength workout
    • Friday: 30-40 minute Zone 1
    • Saturday: Long run, 60-90 minutes Zone 1
    • Sunday: Recovery – rest, walk, or 30-40 minute Zone 1

Really basic, really conservative, and real improvements. Here’s a writeup I did last year on some of this: https://www.reedshea.com/posts/2020/2019-training/

Participant
    nleatham on #50949

Thanks for the reply Reed! I think I’ll just repeat the base period in the 24-week mountaineering plan. I’m looking for a little more variety than my daily monotonous hour run. I know this will take a lot of time I just want to make sure that I’m maximizing the large amount of time it takes to achieve results and eventually pursue larger mountain goals/projects!

Also, your writeup was great a read, it’s nice to see data on over time improvements.

Participant
    Reed on #50970

Find ways to enjoy the monotony. 🙂 Changing up routes can help. Throw in the occasional higher-speed section. Alternatively – I’ve run my routes along the Charles River so many times that I tend to focus more on thinking through some ideas, observing what thoughts pop into my mind, etc… my version of meditating. If you run with headphones, try leaving them at home for a couple of weeks and seeing how it goes.

If you can get an hour in every day, that’s excellent. Keep at it. Also keep an eye on (1) finding low-hanging fruit wherever you can, like strength or mobility, and (2) aiming for one long run per week that makes up ~20% of your weekly volume.

Participant
    Shashi on #50992

Reed – thanks for sharing your post. It’s a great write-up on your training and progress.

nleatham – the only thing I will add to Reed’s recommendations is to follow the Transition Period when you are going through the 24-Week Mountaineering Plan for the first time. Since you are new to structured training, the Transition period will help you prepared for the Base period training. You might have already planned to do this, but thought of highlighting it.

Wish you the best!

Inactive
    Anonymous on #52162

I’m looking for a little more variety than my daily monotonous hour run.

Rather than “thinking while running” and waiting for it to end, instead, run while you think. Use the time to work on other things. Make a grocery list, plan your life, etc. A smartphone with a voice recording app is great for this. Then you can make progress on two fronts at once.

Inactive
    Anonymous on #52163

…because building and maintaining aerobic capacity never ends.

Participant
    frnkr on #52208

I’ve never understood how ppl can do something else except focus on their bodies when practicing. I use most of my session time to monitor my movement patterns, technique and form and try to improve on every step. It’s constant scanning of different body parts working separately and in kinetic chains.

Especially when session end is closing and one becomes tired it’s really important to listen closely ones body IMHO and best way to improve:)

Inactive
    Anonymous on #53522

@frank: Agreed! But until your comment, I thought I was the only one. 🙂

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.