Online cardiac drift calculator / AeT test

• Creator
    Topic
    moncherwatson
    Participant

Hi all,

I recently wanted to re-test my aerobic threshold, but my training peaks trial ran out. I decided to make the most of all my newly-found time at home and made a tool to calculate cardiac drift from a workout.

In case anyone else has a use for it, here it is online: https://douglas-watson.github.io/aet-calc/.

Drop a TCX file from your last AeT test run onto the page. It will plot your effort, then you can select the area over which to calculate Pa:Hr drift. As far as I understand, if you get a drift value close to 5%, you ran close to AeT. A value much above 5% means you ran faster than AeT, and a value much below 5% means you ran below AeT.

Let me know if it needs improvements! I’ve only tested with Garmin and Fitbit files.

• Participant
    Angelos on #41502

I tried it with Garmin.
    Great job ! Thank you !

Participant
    Dada on #41503

Awesome!

Participant
    agunn on #41517

This is awesome. I still have my TP account so I tested it out and the results were pretty close. Thanks!

Inactive
    Anonymous on #41619

Douglas;

Thanks so much for doing this. This will make it possible for those without a TP Premium account to still do this drift test.

We’ll work on incorporating this into our Aerobic Assessment Article with a link to your url. We’ll also credit you for your work.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and creativity with the whole UA family.

Scott

Participant
    Mark on #41698

I’ve made a profile simply to say thank you, Douglas. Much appreciated!

Participant
    moncherwatson on #41906

Thanks for the kind words everyone! Do let me know if you notice any issues with the software or the instructions.

And, Scott: thanks for writing the book! I’m a recreational ski mountaineer, but I like how I can use the dry-land training plans to make my weekends more fun. The breadth of the theoretical part is spot on too: when I hear about someone else’s workout structure, I can usually understand where it fits into the bigger picture of endurance training. It’s been a great reference!

Participant
    Diana on #42877

This is awesome– just what I was looking for. Thank you so much for sharing your skills!

Participant
    GuillaumeM on #43476

Hi !
    thank you for that !

Participant
    Hrvoje on #48694

Hi everyone and special thanks to Douglas for making the calculator.
    Since my TP Premium has lapsed this calculator will help a lot.

I`ve tested it yesterday and I need a bit of help for interpreting the results…
    Results:
    HRav_H1: 151 bpm
    Pc_H1: 5,56 min/km (10,79 km/h)
    HRav_H2: 151 bpm
    Pc_H1: 6,02 min/km (9,97 km/h)
    Pa:Hr drift [%]: 1,5 (from calculator)

Since my HRav was the same for both halves of the test (151 bpm) it is easy to see the decrease in pace which is 7,6% and I understood that this should be the actual drift but the calculator is showing me 1,5% drift.

Could you please help me understand better what is the right way to interpret the results.

Many thanks and BR,
    Hrvoje

Participant
    slosada on #48947

To the OP: I just registered to thank you. Using info from Garmin. I use a manual method and this was spot on.

@Hjenei
    , dividing the pace 362sec / 356sec = 1.68% but this is after 4 roundings to provide an average for denominator and numerator in both HR and pace.
    So, your “151” in HR can be between 150.5 and 151.4 (and same applies for pace in H1 and H2)

Let’s pretend the paces are precise: 5:56.000 and 6:02.000 The HR rounding error will give you anywhere between 1.08% and 2.29%

Participant
    Hrvoje on #49058

Thanks @slosada!
    I was calculating with km/h as it is indicated in the calculator description.
    While we are at it; how would you incorporate the HR into the calculation (leaving out the rounding and errors)?
    (Pc2[s]/HR2)/(Pc1[s]/HR1) ?

Thanks again

Participant
    juskojj on #49201

Thanks!

Can this work with .fit files? I have a wahoo….. or can I convert the file?

Participant
    bheemeryck on #52636

Douglas- Thanks so much for making this available, I was going to pull out the math brain and try to figure out how to do it myself but you saved me many hours!

Thought I’d share this link as well, apparently to convert a file in strava to .tcx you need to:

Add “/export_tcx” – without quotes – to the end of your activity page URL. For example, if your activity page is http://www.strava.com/activities/2865391236 – just add the text to give you http://www.strava.com/activities/2865391236/export_tcx and hit enter. This will download a TCX version of your file to the location specified by your browser’s preferences.

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/216918437-Exporting-your-Data-and-Bulk-Export#TCX

Participant
    ashanoski on #56613

Thanks for this handy calculator. I’m just calculating my drift and want to make sure that I’m doing it right. This calculator won’t work with a treadmill workout, unless the distance/pace is calibrated, right? My tcx pace data is definitely off and I don’t know how to edit it and set it to the pace I used on the treadmill. I think I can just look at the change in my heart rate since everything else is constant, right?

Thanks,
    Alan

Participant
    Stella on #65164

Hi Watson, excellent job with the online calculator. Signed up just to say thanks. It works really well.
    The only suggested improvement would be to display the mean pace as min:sec/km and not min with seconds and a decimal place i.e. in the current version it displays 5.5/km but ideally would like it to display 5 min 30 sec/km

Thanks

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.