Older climber

• Creator
    Topic
    mike
    Participant

In addition to longer/more frequent rest days, any other suggestions for an older climber? 56, mostly ww kayaking for the last couple of years (just finished Grand Canyon trip), but looking to increase ice climbing this winter and a trip or two next summer (Tetons/North Cascades). Thanks in advance.

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #5747

Mike;

At our advanced age we need to be a bit more gradual about the progressive overload we apply through training. Take it slower than you did when you were 26 but mainly be consistent. It take us a lot longer to regain lost fitness then it does younger folks.

Scott

Participant
    DJW on #5830

Mike, joining the discussion here, albeit a bit late. I too am an ‘older’ climber. We share an age; I’m 56. I’m not saying anything new. Indeed, I’m echoing keymaster Scott, but paced consistency, at least for me, is paramount. I’m a bit blessed that I’m semiretired and that one of my semiretirement gigs is teaching / guiding skiing in Big Sky. 100+ days and 1 million vertical last season, and the hopeful promise of same this coming season, kept me, keeps me, on the track. Currently, I’m trying to more effectively plan my mental / physical / spiritual fitness to match adventures – hence joining uphillathelete, buying a plan (in my case, the 8 week advanced), and committing to track it all on trainingpeaks.com. I’ve always sort of did my own thing training wise, even back in my Nepal days. That doesn’t work for me anymore; at least not well. Just successfully off Rainier, by the way. Just me and my climbing mate on the Emmons-Winthrop. A straightforward blast. 8 week plan prepping me for a fall(ish) Sierra alpine adventure. Cheers, DJW

Participant
    mike on #5833

DJW,

Congrats on Rainier, The Emmons tends to get less traffic, which I think improves the quality of the climb. Winter at Big Sky sounds fun and its certainly a great reason to keep training. Over the last couple of years, I have also used some pre programmed plans as a final prep to an event. Most of my “events” have been related to ww kayaking, over the last few years, with some climbing trips sprinkled in (Tetons, Rainer, N. Cascades). My lifting (kettlebells in summer in my garage, barbells in gym, winter) has pretty much focused on push/pull (press/pull up), squat variation (lunge), deadlift, and core. I focus most of my aerobic work on biking (mountain/road), kayaking and swimming. As I get closer to climbing objectives, I substitute weighted step ups and weighted hiking. Currently starting the transition from kayak training (big event is over, although kayaking continues until ice over) to ice climbing. I have found if I plan trips, it tends to keeps my training focused. Have fun in the Sierras!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.