Ok to substitute sci alpinism for running?

• Creator
    Topic
    rhrgoss
    Participant

Just beginning aerobic base building. Would it be harmful to substitute running for ski alpinism? I understand the complimentary muscle training wouldn’t be the same but in terms of aerobic progress is it a doable swap?

Posted In: Mountain Running

• Participant
    rhrgoss on #39714

I misspoke in the original post. Like the title says I would be doing ski alpinism instead of running for part of the aerobic base period.

Inactive
    Anonymous on #39718

In preparation for what event? If it’s a weight-bearing event, then no, it’s not a problem at all. You may be able to get more volume in with ski touring because it won’t have the pounding of running.

Participant
    rhrgoss on #39719

Thanks for the reply Scott, it’s for the Adamello Ultra Trail, 90km and 6 months out. I live on the ski pista so it’s much easier for me to train on skis while there is still snow. The plan was to start the Mike Foote Big Vert plan in approximately 1 month. I was hoping to get a decent jump on constructively building my aerobic base on the skis but wasn’t sure if it would be a large physiological shock when I jumped into the running in the Big Vert plan.

Inactive
    Anonymous on #39720

I live on the ski pista…

I’m jealous!

…wasn’t sure if it would be a large physiological shock when I jumped into the running in the Big Vert plan.

It should be fine; you have lots of time to prepare. If your legs are feeling beat up, you can always try a blended approach (some skiing, some running) and gradually go to all running.

Participant
    rhrgoss on #39740

Great, thanks for the swift reply. I’m fortunate, and while I hate running the course passes in front of my house so I figure I better take advantage of the location.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.