No idea what my AeT is

• Creator
    Topic
    MalibuBill
    Participant

I cannot and will not go to a gym given what is happening with the pandemic, so, I do not have access to stair steppers and the like. I’m insufficiently fit to run an hour. I have had nothing but trouble trying to get the watch on which I wasted three hundred bucks to work as expected although I managed to post some of the workouts. So, I have NO idea what my AeT is meaning any attempt to achieve a given zone is useless. I tried an uphill hike nearby but the results seem sketchy or worse for determining AeT.

Should I just use the age based guesstimate (180-74-106) to estimate my AeT and work from there? I REALLY want this stuff to work but right now it appears not to be functioning for me. It is obvious that for purposes of this course AeT is the ONE critical number to know and I remain clueless although I have had the opportunity to “train” for about ten to twelve hours with techno stuff from the comfort of my couch.

• Participant
    DJW on #59424

malibubill, as a sometime resident of your area, and knowing the gym situation in the region, I can sympathize. I’ve found solid AeT ‘hikes’ in the Malibu Hills ranging from the challenging LadyFace (Kanan and Agoura) to advanced, and regionally famous, Bulldog, to more moderate Backbone and Las Virgenes trails.

I’ll be down your way in early DEC, am fully vaccinated, and would dig jointing for a saunter, if you’d value same.

Cheers and onward, Don

Participant
    MalibuBill on #59425

Thanks Don. I’m at a pretty low fitness level, which I at least partially blame on the pandemic, which also closed the local pool besides my gym, but I’ll be happy to hike one of the more moderate trails. The old “Chumash” trail across from the Pt. Mugu shooting range used to feel “private” for us but is now packed daily.

I’ve checked out my “old” not in Malibu gym a couple of times which is free for us old farts and Malibu Fitness, which is not free as well as a couple others but all seem to be more careless about the virus than I prefer.

As for early Dec Rosemary and I will be suffering on Kauai from 11/28 to 12/8 but otherwise I’ll be around. :>) Yes I will risk being on a plane.

Thanks again.

Participant
    Nate Emerson on #59430

Hi Bill,
    I’m sorry that you’re having trouble.

To find your AeT HR:
    1. As you mentioned: if all else fails, use the MAF method (180-age). That will be remarkably helpful for a lot of individuals, although there will be some outliers.
    2. It looks like your equipment was set up correctly and sending good data on Saturday. If you can keep it working like that, you can do your AeT Test with an uphill hike. You’re lucky because: a) you don’t have much tree cover in your area, and b) a Garmin tends to have some of the best GPS accuracy. It’s important to select the right trail – to keep your effort consistent, you’ll want to find a continuous uphill trail. Don’t use a trail that completely flattens out in sections or has wildly changing grades throughout. Again, you’re lucky in that many trails in your area will meet that criteria. I think that there are a lot of options if you drive east over to Topanga or Palisades. Definitely good options if you head all the way to Wilson observatory or Verdugo Hills. If you get a continuous 60min uphill at what you think is your AeT pace, you can look at that segment in TrainingPeaks and check the Pa:HR. If it’s between 3-5%, you’ve found your AeT HR (it’s the HR in the first few minutes of the test).
    3. If you CAN’T find AeT with heart rate monitoring, it’s still reasonable to train using perceived exertion. Athletes have done this forever with great results. Make sure that your easy sessions are EASY and your hard sessions are HARD. That’s what we are trying to do using heart rate monitoring. The HRM obviously has much more unbiased feedback and precision which gives us the ability to monitor for small changes over time. The other reason HRM is helpful is because most athletes can get in their own way with training – it’s easy to push harder on an easy outing when it feels easy, and without HRM, the athlete might be more inclined to push harder. Once the athlete is outside of the desired training range, they are no longer following the training plan.

AeT HR is very helpful because it’s the best option mountaineers have to measure the intensity of their workouts. We can’t measure our training load with the same precision that cyclists with power meters can. Your heart rate is the best metric for objectively looking at your training load. AeT HR and AeT Pace are the most practical ways for mountaineers to assess the efficacy of their training programs and other contributors to fitness.

We have the program set up so that you can run or hike. There is no need to run with this program. We give the option to run because it is an easier way to exercise at a target intensity for athletes that are in vertically-challenged locations. Stair machines and treadmills are given as other options for those who have zero access to hills. If you have trails, those will be great, especially since you get to descend. The stair machines and most treadmills have no opportunity to practice descent.
    There are a lot of great hiking opportunities in the Santa Monica Mountains, especially for the workouts through this initial 12 week program. It sounds like Don has had his boots on the ground in your area. There are some simple websites that give good trail descriptions, like Hiking Project and AllTrails.

Participant
    MalibuBill on #59439

Thanks Nate. Other “students” should understand my frustration is simply with the electronics. You and your mates have been most helpful.

The Santa Monica Mountains are 100 feet from where I am seated. My parents and I were friends of Milt McCauley who wrote the guidebook for those mountains. I’ll refer to it – again.

I grew up in the shadow of the San Gabriels and spent many happy hours in them before moving to the beach – traffic makes that range MUCH less appealing than when I lived in the Pasadena area almost 50 years ago.

THANKS AGAIN. I WILL make this work – with your continuing kind assistance!

Participant
    DJW on #59450

Right, Bill, I’ll keep you posted on when I’m in your area. I’m part-time in Mammoth Lakes, CA, Big Sky, MT and your way, and make the Lady Face hike (1000+ vertical in less than a mile (which is darn sporty and great given that you can see the ocean from the top)) a regular when I’m down that way. That stated, I’ll hike anything at anytime with you, sir! I’m a 60 year old knucklehead who likes to cross open ground.

Based on my own experience, and not to even approach that I know anything at all, I use the MAF as a starter, check it on a run (which for me is most folks’ ‘jog’ pace), a road ride and a hike every now and again — then mostly stay actively cognizant of how I’m feeling, journal, look at the data, adjust, and move on. It’s an evolution, again saying just for me and my POV.

Jealous of your Hawaii trip, mate. I’ll be suffering Big Sky’s cold and snow on a ski guide training.

Onward, Don

Participant
    MalibuBill on #59462

You’re on Don. Thanks.

And, MAF is it until I figure out the watch better. That works out to 105.6.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.