Modulation still important even if I'm recovering well?

• Creator
    Topic
    doughywilson
    Participant

I have been putting in about 8-10 hours each week for the past month. I’m keeping it mostly aerobic but have started to do some ME work. My body is holding up pretty well. My legs are recovering quickly even after hard/steep downhill running, and I don’t feel like fatigue is accumulating. Should I modulate and do an easy week anyway? Will my fitness progress faster if I back off even though I can handle my current mileage just fine? Or would it be better to use the time to build more aerobic capacity/strength.

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #39414

Should I modulate and do an easy week anyway?

Yes. If a training regime is at a near-constant load, you’ll start to feel stale. Adaptation is better triggered by changes in load. Also, not everything we’re training builds and recovers on the same timeline. From what I’ve read, fight-or-flight adrenal response in particular needs downtime. If you’re caught in a chronic stress environment, eventually you’ll start breaking down.

Will my fitness progress faster if I back off even though I can handle my current mileage just fine?

Over what timeline? IN the short-term, feel free to extend a mesocycle by a week here and there if you’re feeling good. But within a macrocycle, you’ll need modulation to keep your adaptation going strong.

As a general rule of thumb, ask yourself questions like:

“Is what I’m about to do a strong-like-bull-smart-like-tractor approach? Am I being greedy when I should be fearful? Am I prioritizing short-term gratification over slow-and-steady progress?”

Be honest with yourself and, if the answer is yes, then back off.

Also ask:

“Have I done as little as required (to get a response) or am I trying to do as much as possible (so I feel good)?”

Or would it be better to use the time to build more aerobic capacity/strength.

It depends. See above.

Participant
    doughywilson on #39417

Thanks for the reply Scott. I appreciate it.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.