Mini-max, is this correct or not?

• Creator
    Topic
    philc180
    Participant

Mini-max:

15 min treadmill Run/hike warm up 10′ easy + 5′ of 1′ fast 1′ easy.
    Strength:
    Cut the number of sets in half from the regular Core/Max Strength workout
    This is only for maintenance.

Max strength:

15 min t-mill Run/hike warm up 10′ easy + 5′ of 1′ fast 1′ easy.
    CORE:

4 hardest core exercises warm up sets X 4.

(Box step-ups + push ups couplet) + (step downs + pull ups couplet):

Progression: Weeks 1-2 use 4 sets
    Weeks 3-4 use 5 sets
    Weeks 5-6 use 6 sets
    Weeks 7-8 use 5 sets but increase weight each set and drop reps by 1 in each set. Eg: set #1=4 reps, set#2=3 reps, set#3=2 reps, set#4=1rep.

How I perform mini-max (working from week 8 max strength being the objective to base mini-max off of):

15 min treadmill Run/hike warm up 10′ easy + 5′ of 1′ fast 1′ easy.

Strength:

2 warm up sets with 10kg weightvest + 2 X 2kg ankle weights and boots as normal (15kg).

Sets were increased by 2kg each time, 14kg + boots = 15kg total + 35kg backpack for box step-ups as normal, 50kg max total.

Set 1: 6kg weightvest.
    Set 2: 6kg weightvest + 1 X 2kg ankle weight.
    Set 3: 6kg weightvest + 2 X 2kg ankle weights.
    Set 4: 8kg weightvest + 2 X 2kg ankle weights.
    Set 5: 10kg weightvest + 2 X 2kg ankle weights.

+++++

Just checking my number of warm up sets and mini-max strength sets are correct or not?

Thank you for your response(s).

Philip.

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #55178

Philip:

It is not possible for anyone to tell if these weights are correct. At least that is what I thin you are asking about. The most important thing to remember about max strength training is that the weight needs to be heavy. 85-90% of your 1 rep maximum. In the final sets (3&4) you you should barely be able to complete the reps. That will give the best max strength stimulus.

If you are doing this you are doing it correctly.

Scott

Participant
    philc180 on #55197

Thanks for the reply Scott.

It’s not the weights amount I was after but the actual amount of sets.

“Cut the number of sets in half from the regular Core/Max Strength workout
    This is only for maintenance.”

“Find the 4 hardest core exercises for you to complete…Progress to no more than 4 sets over the course of 6 weeks.”

“Progression: Weeks 1-2 use 4 sets
    Weeks 3-4 use 5 sets
    Weeks 5-6 use 6 sets
    Weeks 7-8 use 5 sets but increase weight each set and drop reps by 1 in each set. E.g.: set #1=4 reps, set#2=3 reps, set#3=2 reps, set#4=1 rep.”

So my thinking was half the warm up sets to 2 from 4 and going by your previous comment it should be 4 sets for the max strength. I was confused because week 8 uses 5 sets, week 6 uses 6 sets and half of either of them is not 4 sets. Possibly it’s my incorrect determination.

I’ll go with 2 warm ups and 4 max sets but increase weight in each. Interestingly, the added 50kg has become a little easier than the start, presumably as I’m getting used to it / stronger, so I’ll increase it this week by 5 – 10kg and see where it takes me.

Thanks again for the clarification.

Philip.

Participant
    LindsayTroy on #55207

What is your question? I am confused by the term ‘mini max’

Is your question “Is this a sufficient program to maintain my strength for X number of weeks in between training programs”

or is your question “will doing this serve as a shorter or ‘mini’ max strength to get me stronger in less time”

Or is your question something else. Without going into details of your plan, what is your question.

Participant
    philc180 on #55213

Mini-max is the name of the workout in the 24 week mountaineering plan.

It’s part of the last 24 weeks i.e. Muscular Endurance 8 weeks.

I wanted clarification on the number of sets. The basis for this is the middle 8 weeks with the Mountaineering Max Strength workouts.

The Mini-max is a halved version of this (1h30m down to 45m for Mini-max) but the number of sets doesn’t match up (see description above) so that’s why I wanted to know if what I was doing was right i.e. 2 warm up sets and 5 max sets but now Scott has steered me right and I’m going to keep it at 4.

Sorry for confusion. I’m always confused at some point or another due to this being all new to me. Anyway onwards and upwards and thanks for the response!

Philip.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.