ME – HR too high?

• Creator
    Topic
    vencislav.popov
    Participant

I just did the first ME workout of my plan. I don’t have long hills available, best I can do is do intervals on a set of stairs with ~90m elevation gain (~300ft). As suggested in the plan, I started with 50lb. Plan says that I should go as hard as possible for the duration, and that the limitation should be in the legs, while HR would probably be in Z2.

However, my HR during the uphill sections stabalized at ~172-176, which is right about my AnT (176). It feels hard on my legs, so that aspect seems to be working, but my HR is much higher than what the book and the plan I bought would suggest. Is this because I’m doing it interval style? Or should I increase the weight until I find a point at which the work is hard, but the HR stays in Z2?

• Participant
    vencislav.popov on #41041

I increased the weight to 68 lb today. Really felt it in my legs, and HR was lower, but still higher than the book/plan suggests (~167bpm). Next week I’m considering trying with even more weight, though I’m not sure if that’s a good idea because of the potential to overdo it.

Inactive
    Anonymous on #41080

In general, yes, greater weight should have more impact on the legs and less stress on the heart and lungs (so lower heart rate). However, the heavy-slow ME protocol is designed with long, continuous sessions in mind, so it could be that the shorter intervals are allowing you to go faster than you would in longer intervals.

You could try more weight and/or just go slower. The speed of these is less important than the weight.

Inactive
    Anonymous on #41091

Scott Semple is correct. One thing I will add is that we sometimes see that people with very strong legs, like you have need to carry crazy heavy packs to make sure the legs are the limiter. I’d say this pertains to about 10-15% of the people who do this workout. Most will be really feel it in the legs with something like 40-50lb.

It seems that your recent workout with 68lbs did have the desired effect. How did your legs feel the next day or two. Did they become quite stiff and sore? How was your global fatigue level (good energy the next day or two)? If your legs felt worked for a couple of days but you otherwise felt pretty good for those light recovery days then I think you should keep the weight where it is. Getting a 75lb pack onto your back is going to prove really challenging.

A few years ago I coached a real strong guy and the only way we could get him to feel that his legs were the limiter was when he was carrying 100-120lb.

I hope this helps,
    Scott

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.