Maximising a season despite suboptimal prep

• Creator
    Topic
    maxf
    Participant

Dear uphill athletes,

Last year I had a great autumn and winter, with a good transition and built up to weekly 15-30k longs runs. This left me in great shape for a Scottish winter climbing trip able to move fast through deep snow and only need 24 hours to recover from a big weekend of 2 x 8 hour climbing days.

This year my preparation has been suboptimal. I have had a high ‘life stress’ load and a much lower training load duing autumn. Now I find myself in the climbing season, but weekends away take 2-3 days to recover from and I am loathe to train too much in the week in case I get tired / sick for the next weekend trip.

The rest of my winter looks like this
    wk10 – off
    wk11 – large volume week of hiking / easy mountaineering
    wk12 – off
    wk13 – 3 day ice climbing trip ben nevis
    wk14 – off
    wk15 – 4 day ski touring trip alps

Question: does anyone have strategies for such a situation?

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #39277

Been there, done that, blew up…

It’s wise to be cautious and avoid getting sick. You’ll progress at a faster rate that way when in stressful circumstances (although it won’t feel like it).

The first thing that comes to mind: On your off weeks, what’s the minimum amount of training that you can sustain? Could you do 5x 30′ super easy runs and 2x 30′ strength sessions? If you can play a hard defense on your off weeks, then your training weeks will benefit from less back-tracking.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.