Maintenance!

• Creator
    Topic
    Farzin
    Participant

Hi,
    First of all, thank you for the excellent text book you guys have published. By following the training routines outlined, and making some mods to accommodate my age (54), I was able to summit Cho Oyu with relative ease.
    My question has to do with those times when one isn’t following a particular training regimen such as the those prescribed in the book. What type of training do you recommend for maintaining fitness level?

Thank you,
    Farzin

• Participant
    madanyang on #3857

Hi,

@Farzin
    what were your modifications to accommodate your age as I am 52 years old and there are days I want to include another rest/recovery day into the program.

Thanks

Inactive
    Anonymous on #3862

Farzin:

Most if will from time to time find ourselves off the training wagon for some period. The best way to not loose too much fitness is to exercise as much as you can. Even if you are not engaged in a structured program this random exercise will help maintain some base fitness. It takes a lot less time and energy to maintain a level of fitness than it did to build it in the first place. In order of importance in maintenance are: Aerobic stimulus as much as you can, every two of three days to maintain your base for a few weeks. Strength needs 1 time each week to maintain for a few weeks. So even if you are not on a plan you can still be active and be able to transition back to a serious training plan in a few weeks.

I hope this helps.
    Scott

Participant
    Farzin on #3877

Scott,
    Thank you for the reply. It makes a lot of sense given that life happens.

madanyang,
    Here is what my training for Cho Oyu looked like:

– 85% of my cardio training was in zone 1
    – I started every training session(strength and cardio) with 10 min of foam rolling
    – For strength sessions, I start with 10 min zone1-2 cardio and then foam roll followed by 10 min of dynamic stretching
    – For strength sessions, I start light and graduate to the weight target
    – I end each session with rolling out.
    – I do Yoga everyday, including rest days
    – I see a physical therapist once every-other-week and address any irregularities no matter how insignificant.

I hope this helps.

Farzin

Participant
    madanyang on #3879

Thanks Farzin. I have been having seeing a physical therapist every week so I guess I need to consider to add Yoga sessions as well.

I was reading the book “Fast after 50” by Joe Friel and I was wondering if doing 9 day weeks is an alternative way to train. Maybe Scott can address this issue

Thanks again

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.