looking for stretch recommendations/ressources

• Creator
    Topic
    DominicProvost
    Participant

I need to stretch more, because my improving my flexibility is low hanging fruit (it’s not bad but it’s far from great). I already stretch a bit (some yoga poses, some stretches for my legs that was recommended a couple years ago to fix an achy knee and some stuff for hip mobility that gets recommended on climbing blogs and forums) but I’d like to be able to find more mountaineering specific stretches. I figure asking here to see if anyone has some they like won’t hurt. Some areas I would like to target better are the soft tissue around my ankles and toes as well as my shoulders.

Thanks in advance

• Participant
    Dane on #32317

Not specific to stretches but I’m pretty sure I’ve seen it recommended here or in one of the UA books but Jill Miller’s The Roll Model is basically a soft tissue self-care bible. I’m pretty heavy for a runner so my feet and ankles take some abuse and it’s been a great tool for keeping everything working properly.

I’ve never looked at the book but I’ve heard good things about Kelly Starrett’s Becoming a Supple Leopard. I followed his Mobility WOD site back in my crossfit days and there are some shoulder and hip exercises that I picked up from it that I still do to this day.

Participant
    Mariner_9 on #32321

I found ‘Fit to Ski and Snowboard’ (Amazon link) useful for stretches (for everything else, see TFNA!).

Participant
    DominicProvost on #32417

Awesome, thanks guys!

Participant
    TerryLui on #32700

I’ve been using Kelly Starrett’s “Becoming a Supple Leopard” as a reference How-To book. Lots of “Crossfitty” lingo but it’s been fairly good for showing how to roll/massage/stretch areas that need attention

Inactive
    Anonymous on #32725

Ditto. I just started digging into The Supple Leopard, and it’s awesome.

The quickest way to start: Flip to page 472 and start using the beginner’s two-week program.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.