Left shifted lactate profile after 6 months training for the aerobic capacity

• Creator
    Topic
    m_ishi2ka
    Participant

Let me post this one, for this case might be a lesson also for the other self-coached athletes. I searched in this forum but there seems to be no such a clear derailment reported as this. This case may be precious in some sense.

The story is in the attached pdf.

I reflect about this unexpected outcome’s possible cause.
    It may be that I have been stimulating my anaerobic system not small degree. Possibilities can be guessed are as follows.

1) Steep sections in trail running and hiking / mountaineering
    The heart rate gets out of the limit even I walk. Precise percentage of those excess can’t be obtained, but I guess one-fourth of these activity duration. That is, (12+13)*0.25 = 6.25% of the total hours (please refer in the attached for the numbers).

2) Same limit (HR 140 BPM for running) applied to rollerski
    I did, knowing that it is not wise. Because, I had to find suitable location for the measurement in rollerski. And there are several parameters in crosscountry ski (classic or free? diagonal or double polling?). Measurement in April was my first experience. I began it in rather easy format.
    Said that, its complexity doesn’t justify applying the limit for running to ski. My anaerobic system may have been working decently in rollerski (I am planning measurement in rollerski now).

Or,
    3) The limit was wrong in the first place even for running

Any comment will be appreciated.
    Masaaki Ishitsuka

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • Inactive
    Anonymous on #57880

Hi Masaaki,

From what I understand, lactate levels are sport/muscle-recruitment specific. The muscle metabolic stress and lactate clearance in running is different from skiing. So, lactate results from running should be applied to running, and not to skiing or uphill walking, etc.

Although the test strips are expensive, I find it useful to occasionally spot check during workouts to make sure I’m training correctly (seeing improvements in my lactate clearance capacity).

Inactive
    Anonymous on #57896

Masaaki:

Eddie is right that doing the test as sport specifically as possible is best. I also agree with the principle of checking lactates randomly during your Z1-2 straining sessions to be sure you are staying under AeT. When I was skiing I used to station myself along the trail in a pace the skiers would pass by several times in that workout. I would make them slow down if the lactate was above 1.7-1.9.

I can not explain why your lactate curve would shift to the left like this unless you were training at too high of an intensity or something was wrong with the tests.

I would encourage you to use the HR Drift test for the determination of you AeT HR. It works very well and correlates strongly with gas exchange tests (+/-3 beats). The beauty of this test is that it is free and you can conduct it anytime you want. In fact Training Peaks will calculate the HR drift for you. I never use my lactate monitors any more despite having 3 of them and having done many, many tests with them over the years.

Sorry I can’t offer a better explanation.
    Scott

Participant
    m_ishi2ka on #57911

Hello gentlemen,

Thank you very much for your immediate reply.
    As Eddie-san pointed out, I should have tested also in rollerski (I will) and even in walking uphill.

Scott-san you don’t have to be sorry. You give me enough comment.
    It should be the case that I have been producing not small lactate in rollerski, but as you wonder the shifted amount is rather significant. I am a “sugar burner”.
    I will study about the drift test, but I can’t abandon the analyzer yet which I bought in March this year. And,,, Uphillathlete.com is the one who made me invest!

I think I still have some time to cure before we have snow.

Best regards,
    Masaaki Ishitsuka

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.