Last Skier Standing / Backyard Ultra Tips?

• Creator
    Topic
    floresrm
    Participant

Goodness gracious, what have I gotten myself into?

I am signed up for a Last Skier Standing race next weekend. The format is a la Backyard Ultra.

Read more here:

In This Sufferfest, the Last Skier Standing Wins

It’s a 1 mile course with 1,000 feet of vertical gain. Each participant must finish the course within an hour and be in the starting area prior to the next lap start.

The race is over once there is only one person left in the starting area and that person completes their final lap.

I don’t expect to win (last year’s winner clocking 34 hours I believe) but would like to push myself.

Any tips?

I’ve been training consistently for about 9 months, 90% in zone 1. Coming off an over reaching week, so next week was my rest week anyway.

I’ve skinned the course before and I can do it staying mostly in Zone 1, so I imagine it will have a good training effect!

—- how should I schedule training next week?

-— any nutrition tips? Before the race and during?

—- race strategies?

—- how should I think about scheduling training the week after the race?

Appreciate any and all help!

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #49958

I can do it staying mostly in Zone 1…

How long does a Zone 1 lap take?

…so I imagine it will have a good training effect!

The duration is so long that this will be a serious withdrawal. This shouldn’t be counted as “base training”. But these events are why to train anyway. “Enjoy”!

—- how should I schedule training next week?

You shouldn’t. This should be a recovery week. So just short, easy sessions, maybe with a few pick-ups here and there.

-— any nutrition tips? Before the race and during?

Ideally you’d want to test this before. Because the pace will be slow, I think you can eat normally. The biggest thing will be to be organized about it so you don’t have to carry much and don’t lose time restocking. Have supplies at the base (in a cooler and/or with a helper) and only grab and go. Eat on the ups.

—- race strategies?

The average speed for an event this long is going to be super slow. Don’t go out of the gate hard at all. I would start this at a recovery pace and stay there. If there’s a “race” at all, it won’t happen until the end of the race anyway.

—- how should I think about scheduling training the week after the race?

You shouldn’t. This is going to take a lot out of you. It should be a recovery week. Lots of food, lots of sleep, maybe a few walks. No training. Search this site for the article on Mike Foote’s 24-hour record. He’s a beast, he went slow (for him), and it took him a long time to recover.

Good luck!

Inactive
    Anonymous on #49959

Also (on nutrition) DO NOT wait until you are hungry or thirsty. That will kill this event. Nibble and sip throughout, probably starting about 30-45 minutes into the race. I would set a repeating 30-minute timer.

Also, have a variety of real food. This is not a gel-only event. Your gut will revolt if you do that.

Participant
    Rachel on #49983

I have to say that sounds fun, (in a type 2 way)! If I were doing the race I’d bring lots of extra socks so you can switch out for dry ones. Maybe it’s just me but my feet get sweaty skinning and skiing.

And I second what Scott says about not just gels. Make sure you have savory and salty food and real food. I’ve become a big fan of cooked baby potatoes sprinkled with salt for winter excursions.

Inactive
    Anonymous on #49996

…bring lots of extra socks so you can switch out for dry ones.

Excellent idea.

Participant
    LindsayTroy on #50031

I don’t expect to win (last year’s winner clocking 34 hours I believe) but would like to push myself.

Do you do a lot of 24+ hour events? I find that in the middle of the night, I get cold even when its warm out and I start to crave different food (or I shut down and dont want to eat). So I would prepare for the night, maybe have a crew come out and cheer you on overnight?

Inactive
    Anonymous on #50067

As a Lindsay said, a crew will definitely be helpful.

Also, the hardest time is usually just before dawn.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.