Intro to Ultras Training Plan V2.1 – Zone Question

• Creator
    Topic
    nullkru
    Participant

Hi UA Folks,
    first of all, i searched the Forum but didn’t find what i was searching for. Please point me in the right direction if this question was already asked.

I just bought Intro to Ultras Training Plan V2.1. Let’s say i have up to date AeT Test:

Top of Z1: 145bpm
    Top of Z2 AeT: 160bpm

The aerobic base runs have this in the description: Complete full run @ 90-100% of Aerobic Threshold HR.
    This means all my base runs in this plan are in Z2? I own Mike Footes Big Vert plan as well. The majority of the “base” runs there are in Z1.

Why do we have this difference here?

Thanks in advance — mirko

pedro on #72818

Hi Mirko ,

You are right , if it says you should do 90-100% of the aerobic threshold , it means you are doing the base training on zone 2 where you build aerobic capacity .
    Since you are preparing for ultras , most of your training should be under the anaerobic threshold, you should sustain efforts from longer periods without the presence of acid lactic .

I hope I answered you questions

Cheers ,

Pedro Carvalho

Participant
    nullkru on #72823

Hi Pedro,
    thanks for your reply.

Hum, if i run all base runs in Z2 this is going to be “hard”. My AnT is set to 170bpm, so no ADS. I think I will injure myself doing the majority of my runs in Z2. A long run will be a really hard workout, if I’m trying to run in the 90-100% range.

I’m a bit confused by this. Why more Z2 Work instead of Z1 which is way more sustainable.

— mirko

pedro on #72898

Hi Mirko ,

I think it would be good for you do a phone consultation, to better understand your problem .
    Your aerobic threshold should be your top of zone 2 , I am quite sure that your values should be :
    AeT = 145
    Ant = 160
    And so you will be working in between 132-145 beats per min ,being that your zone 2

I hope it helped …

Cheers ,

Pedro Carvalho

pedro on #72899

Hi Mirko ,

I think it would be good for you do a phone consultation, to better understand your problem .
    Your aerobic threshold should be your top of zone 2 , I am quite sure that your values should be :
    AeT = 145
    Ant = 160
    And so you will be working in between 132-145 beats per min ,being that your zone 2

I hope it helped …

Cheers ,

Pedro Carvalho

pedro on #72900

If you have more questions , you can write me directly at pedro@uphillathlete.com

Participant
    nullkru on #72926

Hey Pedro Thanks again!

According to my testing AnT is 170. But maybe i need to retest it.
    It did the outdoor testing 60min looping with a pa:hr of 0.36%. For AnT the 30min uphill test.

I won’t start the plan soon. So i have time to test again. Thanks anyway for the clarification!

Hope u had a great Thanksgiving. Greetings from switzerland — mirko

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Keymaster
    Jane Mackay on #72933

Nullkru, one other thing to keep in mind is that the plans are written for general use, and most people are aerobically deficient.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.