interpreting first lactate test

• Creator
    Topic
    foth
    Participant

Hi all,

I’m following the discussions here for some time. The good advices here are really helpful.

Yesterday, I did my first self-administered lactate test (running), taking into account the principles that can be found elsewhere on this website. Duration of the intervals was 5 minutes, and after that I took the measurements myself as quick as possible (took 30 – 45 seconds).

My interpretation of the graph is that I can put my AeT at ~160 (maybe a bit higher), and my AnT at ~175. Is this also your interpretation? Should de graph shifted somewhat to the left because of the time it takes to measure the blood sample?

Thanks for any comment!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • Inactive
    Anonymous on #55834

I’d say mid 150s is a safer bet for AeT. That is where you start to the first rise in Lactate. Especially when at 170 you shoot for the moon to 10mMol/L. What was your RPE at 170 and at 182?

No need to shift the graph. It takes a while (usually 1-3 min at low intensities and 6-9min for high intensities)for the lactate to diffuse and start to go down.

Participant
    Reed on #55835

You might also consider doing another test, and aiming for smaller pace increases so that you get lactate samples at ~145bpm, 150, 155, 160, 165, 170, 175. Just remember that it’s a point-in-time test that might give you false precision – better to err on the side of a conservative interpretation!

Participant
    foth on #55848

Thank you very much for your insights.

What was your RPE at 170 and at 182?

Regarding the RPE, 170 felt not really hard yet, RPE 12-13 I guess. However, 182 felt much harder, more like RPE 16-17.

Does the steep lactate increase from hr170 has implications for training focus, for example more focus on high intensity?

Participant
    foth on #55849

You might also consider doing another test, and aiming for smaller pace increases so that you get lactate samples at ~145bpm, 150, 155, 160, 165, 170, 175.

yes, that is a good idea to repeat with smaller intervals! I’m also very curious to the variations between tests.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.